Belkin F5D7050 oddity

In my XPSP2 laptop, I have a Belkin F5D7070 USB wireless dongle adapter connecting to a Linksys WAG54G a few feet away. The Belkin monitor utility displays an animated representation of the adapter correctly connecting to the router and thence to the internet. Every 60 seconds, it shows the connection from router to internet to be broken, and 10 seconds later to be restored, repeatedly.

While experimenting, I ran a continuous ping to my ISP and was surprised to see that the pinging was unaffected, even when the monitor was showing the connection broken. I've tried different channels, static and DHCP, reloading the driver numerous times. Nothing I tried changed the pattern.

There is also a PCMCIA Linksys WPC54G adapter in the laptop and this does not show any similar symptom. This adapter I disable when testing the Belkin. There is no other connection to the router, and I've never detected any other network in the vicinity.

I've sent numerous emails to Belkin support, which they always reply to but never seem to read.

Other than ignoring the condition, has anyone experienced this, or can anyone suggest a fix, or even a cause?

Thanks

Reply to
Allan Anderson
Loading thread data ...

if its not causing any surfing or real connection problems, ignore it.

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

I believe that the Win XP Wireless Zero Configuration has an authentication mode. Make sure it's off.

Hope this helps. Harvey

Allan Anders> In my XPSP2 laptop, I have a Belkin F5D7070 USB wireless dongle adapter

Reply to
Harvey Gratt

Have you considered the most likely option? You said everything else works fine, but the belkin utility shows things that aren't true, and you have used other things that show they are working, but the belkin utility is reporting falsely that they don't... Just from reading what you wrote, I'd say it may be a problem with the belkin utility program... Why don't you try a generic program instead of the one that you got free but gives you false results?

Reply to
Peter Pan

Thanks Harvey

I have WZC 'off' in msconfig, but I did check this as I know it has been responsible for similar troubles. One of the responses from Belkin was to ensure it was set to manual in local services. In fact it was on automatic, but setting it to manual had no effect, nor did disabling it. In fact, their last response was to re-enable WZC, which I take to be their admission of failure, or disinterest. To be fair, though, they did respond quickly to each email, which is something.

Reply to
Allan Anderson

Don't know what you are looking for exactly, but there are two I use for searching and basic info Netstumbler at

formatting link
(free) Winc at
formatting link
(free for evaluation for 30 days, $30 to register)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Yes, that was my conclusion, too, which I suggested to Belkin. Their response amounted to - use WZC. I'm still using the Belkin because it allows profiles, although it does seem to lose them easily.

I will look for a generic one - I didn't know they existed, assuming each was proprietary to match the adapter. Thanks.

Reply to
Allan Anderson

I have had this problem for a few weeks and i have spent most of the day to belkin, who suggested the following to no avail (might as well post info) connection type pppoa idle time 0 MTU 1400 try wireless channels 1,6, or 9

downlaod latest drivers from belkin

formatting link
they then suggested removing all belkin software and re-installing - i dont think so

something made me put my desktop on wired connection (both desktop and laptop were wireless) and hey bingo my laptop connected constantly

tried to connect wirelessly on desktop and it did the same as my laptop looked at ip addresses using ipconfig from a c: prompt and it showed nothing for wireless connection

reset router and bingo! hence i am emailing this from my laptop with F5D7050 and my desktop is online too

so it is an ip allocation problem i think

set all machines so they are trying to connect to router and reset your router makes me wonder if stating IP addresses would help rather than router assigning them (although this connected the machines it failed to let me access the internet, but i wasnt trying to hard to set it up)

desktop now has ip of 192.168.2.3 (and 192.168.2.3 on hard wired when i use it) laptop has ip of 192.168.2.2

hope this helps, now how infuriating it is to not find any answers best to posr replies here, i dont use the email address in this post often

Andy "if people don't understand you then shout louder at them, if they still don't understand curse under your breathe - they will hear you then!"

-----------------------------------------

Reply to
Andy

Hi Andy

I didn't have a non-connection problem, nor a disconnection problem, although I did think that initially.

It was just the Belkin monitor giving a false disconnection indication, which Belkin and I are ignoring.

Thanks

Allan

Reply to
Allan Anderson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.