Belkin F5D6231-4 router takes ages to appear

Hey Everyone,

I have a Belkin F5D6231-4 router which works fine and has worked fine for a long time but recently a few of my neighbours have got wireless connections and since they've appeared it now takes a long time for my network to appear visible to any of my machines.

I don't have the router on all the time so when I turn it on if I'm connected with a cable to the router then it connects and I can surf just fine straight away. However, it may take an hour or two after the router has been on for it to appear in the 'View Wireless Networks' list. Wierd eh?

I have a number of laptops and each of these has the same problem that the network doesn't appear until several hours after being switched on so it's got to be to do with the router.

I've tried: Resetting the router to factory default and then setting up again Disabling WEP Re-enabling WEP Restarting the router Changing the wireless channel

But it makes no difference. Also there are no firmware updates available later than what's on there.

Strange one, does anyone have any other ideas?

By the by this router is useless for online gaming when using the wireless and quickly falls to pieces if you try to run any P2P software. Does anyone have a wireless router they can reccomend for both those things?

Cheers! Seth.

Reply to
sethjohnson777
Loading thread data ...

Hi, How about trying different channel like 1, 6 or 11? Don't use WPA? WEP is not much useful for protection. If you have any default settings customize them.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hey Tony, cheers for that. Yeah I had actually tried using the different channels and doesn't seem to make any difference, same situation happens. As for WPA and WEP well I've had this wireless router for a couple of years now and it doesn't support WEP, just WPA.

Any other ideas, anyone? Like I said, apart from the fact it doesn't work for up to the first hour of it being switched on it does seem to be okay.

Thanks, Seth.

Reply to
Seth Johnson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.