Being Invisible & cards for Mandrake

My questions are two fold one isn't related to the other.

1: I have been playing around with my network settings and such. I was wondering if it was possible to connect to a WAP without the router seeing your computer name, MAC address or IP address. Basically being "invisible" to the AP, but without changing settings on the router itself. All done from the laptop. Any suggestions?

2: Dual boot XP/Mandrake 10.1, trying to phase out XP. Card d-link card (DWL-G630) has no linux drivers (bummer). Any decent cards that will work with both OS's?

Thanks, Blake

Reply to
Cajman
Loading thread data ...

The DLINK should work with Linux using ndiswrapper (ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net) that uses the XP drivers. ndiswrapper has WPA support also.

Reply to
johnny

Why would you want to do that?

In short, no unless you can rewrite both the spec for the ethernet protocols otherwise you're going to have a bit of a job if you want to communicate with the AP since your MAC address must be known by the AP.

You're also confusing the terminology, a WAP (you mean an Access Point presumably?) isn't a router.

An AP isn't interested in layer 3 protocols anyway so doesn't even know about your IP address. The router on the other hand by definition is a layer 3 device so *must* know about your IP address.

If you're trying to download kiddie p*rn or send spam, just drive to the nearest open AP and don't spend too long connected.

Reply to
David Taylor

Kiddie p*rn? If I wanted that I would use proxie servers and not care about the wireless router Spam? Why not just use nmap to find open ports (25) and find the easiest one to hack, then send my spam.

Dude, you go me so wrong. I'll come clean though. Sneario: College undergrad, Internet been down for a long time and not getting fixed for a long time.

I'm using my neighbors bandwith to do my online homeworks (and post to usnet groups) without their knowledge of course.

That's why I wanted to know if it was possible. I had figured that the AP *had* to know my mac and IP address. How would it know which machine the packets belonged to????

Just try not making premature judgements on my character w/o proper information, it's ludacris. Anyways, thanks for the info, I thought

*all* protocols were 7 layers like TCP/IP and UDP (correct me if I'm wrong).

Thanks, Blake

Reply to
Cajman

thanks johnny, I'll give that a shot

Blake

Reply to
Cajman

Nope. You have to be in the routers ARP table in order to use the router. You could easily hide the computer name by turning off all server broadcasts and block NETBIOS ports. However, the MAC address will be in all wireless packets (bridging) between you and the wireless access point. The IP addresses will be encapsulated inside the 802.11 packets. Fire up Ethereal and see for yourself.

A program like AirSnare:

formatting link
see you instantly.

Good plan. I'm partial to Novell/Suse 9.3 this week.

As others have suggested, NDISWrapper should work. Hmmm... not listed in the chipset directory:

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I chose two examples, what you're doing is still illegal. :)

TCP/IP is a 4 layer model.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

The only thing that you *can* do is clone the MAC address of your neighbours client machine.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Hey, he's still in college - he hasn't got that far yet :-)

Reply to
Derek Broughton

5 layer:
formatting link
However, there are additional layers not shown. The missing layers are "user", "money", "politics", and "religion". The user layer is responsible for reducing the reliability sufficiently to justify my profession. The money layer is designed to restrict growth and reliability in a controlled manner. The political and religous layers are responsible for generating broadcast storms and usenet discussions, which are uniquely identified by their lack of payload or content.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Host to Network is one layer. :)

Yep, been there.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.