Beginner questions

Greetings!

I would like to set up a simple wireless network so that I can access my main computer and Internet connection from my laptop! I'm assuming that what I need is a wireless DSL Router at my main computer end (this is where my DSL connection is terminated) and a wireless NIC for my laptop. My questions are: Can I have my main computer hardwired to the router so that I don't have to get a wireless NIC for it too? Are there routers available that can be set up like this? I'm on a budget, so I would like to do it as cheaply as possible!

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Ray

Reply to
Lunaray
Loading thread data ...

Nope, I'm up over, not down under, mate! :-) But thanks, I'll have a look at it and find a place here in the states to get it, if it does what I want to do!

Reply to
Lunaray

Yes.

All the standard wireless routers will allow you to do this. They typically have 3-4 ethernet ports to plug wired things into, as well as making wireless connections.

Reply to
Doug Anderson

Yes a Linksys WRT54G with 4 port router comes to mind. Will set you back about $59.99 at compusa + $10.00 mail in rebate. At fry's it is $69.99 with a $10.00 rebate. At newegg.com they run the same as fry's with a $10..mail in rebate.

Reply to
YouCanToo

Most wireless routers have four wired ports, so yes, your desktop can be wired, and the laptop wireless.

Netgear WGB511 802.11g Wireless Networking Kit WGR614v4 Router and WG511 CardBus card that I have. $74.99 - $35 = $39.99 for the pair. Today it's $69.99.

Reply to
dold

Something like this for the fixed end. Can have 4 "hardwired" comps & about 30 via wireless.

formatting link
something like this to pop in your lappy.
formatting link
't have to be same brand. Free freight & virtually overnight delivery.

Reply to
BruceM

Ohhhh woops.......... In Australia???

Reply to
BruceM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.