BEFSR41 & WRT54GS

Is the linksys WRT54GS similar to the BEFSR41 in that they both act as a router and provide some protection from intruders, or is the WRT54GS stricly a wireless access point?

Also I've been reading that the WRT54GS acts as a DHCP server and wanted to know if you could instead use static ip address's? The reason I'm asking is I'd like the ability to turn off the WRT54GS and still have access to the internet through our BEFSR41 for the hardwired computers.

Thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris
Loading thread data ...

Chris said the following on 10/27/2004 11:55 PM:

I don't know much about the BEFSR41.

The WRT54GS does do DHCP and static IP's. I have 4 computers at home, 3 are set up to receive their IP addresses through DHCP, 1 is static. For static IP, just enter the settings manually (while avoiding the range of DHCP-provided addresses). The details are here:

formatting link
just search for "static IP" at the Linksys Knowledgebase.

Lance

Reply to
Lance

You only want one DHCP server on the network. If the Linksys connects to the Internet, turn off DHCP on the 2nd and let it act as a router only and not as a gateway as well. The DHCP server generally assigns IP addresses in a range of 192.168.1.100 -

199 If you are going to manually assign an IP to any computer, let the last 2 digits be under the 100 starting point for DHCP assigned IP's.

Reply to
Alan White

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.