BBSID versus SSID

Sounds like your neighbor has a network using the same SSID as you. BBSIDs are actually the router/ap Mac address. So a router having 2 of them would be unlikely unless it has multiple wireless adapters.

One of the

automatically

You might try setting it up as the Preferred Network in the wireless properties. Once connected stop the windows WZC utility. From a command prompt type services.msc find wzc and stop it. To reconnect you will probably have to enable it again. There are some methods to automated this process, search "wzc stop icon" or so. Or get you a new router that has only one BBSID

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

Hi there,

I have a wireless router that has 2 BBSIDs on one SSID. I.e. when I connect I see two identical wireless networks, except for the BBSID. One of the networks has a reception of 50%, the other 35%. My network automatically connects to the 50% network, but this network is very slow. I want my network card to (statically) connect to the 35% one. Is there some way I can do this (forced)?

Card: ralink / raconfig2500 2.3.0.0.

anyone pulled this of before?

thx, in advanced

Seansan

Reply to
Seansan

Sounds pretty unlikely - two BSSIDs would imply two different sets of hardware.

sounds more like two identical routers in adjacent houses, with the same default ssid.

Change your router's SSID to something unique to you, and tell your Os to use that as a preferred network. In XP you do this in the wireless config settings.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Its not unlikely. I dont know how this works but I detect two BBSIDs. If i could attach a pic I would.

Seansan

Reply to
Seansan

Reply to
Ron Bandes

And I detect about 4 in my front room. That doesn't mean my router has 4 different wireless devices in it. More likely there's other wireless access points within range.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.