Baud rate changes intermittently

I got a laptop that is extremely slow in web surfing. It's connection baud rate via wireless changes from 24, 48 and 56 Mbps intermittently within few seconds. The router is located on the same desk so distance is not the problem. The router is Netgear brand and wireless card is Intel, built-in to Dell laptop. Please help. TIA.

Reply to
scottieyoon
Loading thread data ...

How do you tell that it changes from 24, 48 and 56 Mbps intermittently ?

Karthik Balaguru

Reply to
karthikbalaguru

I open up the network property of the wireless NIC and check status. There it says the strength, connection speed, bytes sent and received. The speed will change from and to 24, 48, 56 within, say 30 seconds or less. With these observation, I can see the speed of surfing dramatically slow. Any suggestion I can try? Thanks.

Reply to
scottieyoon

One of the best ways to determine if the router or the wireless card is the problem is to take your notebook to a local hotspot (coffee shop, etc.) and see if the problem occurs there as well. If it does, you know it is the computer. If not, it is most likely that router.

Give this a shot, and let me know what happens.

John Dell Customer Advocate

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
DellCA

thread:

formatting link
Yup, I took it elsewhere and it performs just fine. The problem must be the router. I'm replacing it. Thanks.

Reply to
scottieyoon

No problem at all. Best of luck!

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
DellCA

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.