Basic WiFi Security question

Some sites I log into will show the lock icon in Internet Explorer as soon as the site comes up. Others show the lock icon only after logging in.

Is it safe to assume that on a public hotspot such as in a hotel that my user name and password is unavailable to a snooper if the lock icon is visible prior to logging in?

I assume that such information sent to log on is available whenever the lock icon does not show.

Reply to
Bob
Loading thread data ...

This is a very good question, I'm replying to kickstart the thread while I invesitgate an actual answer.

My initial thoughts are you ar on the right track, but it bears out that proof is required to be sure.

post-PS: what ver of IE are you running, which OS & SrvPack?

berk

Reply to
berk

~ Some sites I log into will show the lock icon in Internet Explorer as ~ soon as the site comes up. Others show the lock icon only after ~ logging in. ~ ~ Is it safe to assume that on a public hotspot such as in a hotel that ~ my user name and password is unavailable to a snooper if the lock icon ~ is visible prior to logging in? ~ ~ I assume that such information sent to log on is available whenever ~ the lock icon does not show.

Your assumptions are correct.

I.e. IE shows a lock icon iff the URL protocol for the loaded page is HTTPS. HTTPS communications are encrypted. So, if I am looking at a web form that has a URL starting in https:// and if there is a little yellow lock icon on the status line at the bottom of the window, then I know that I can type in my username/password into the form and send it over the Internet, and they will be encrypted.

If the URL starts in http:// (no lock icon), then if I fill in my credentials into the form and transmit the page, then they will go out into the Internet unencrypted.

IMO, when you're using a public hotspot, it's best always to use a VPN tunnel back to a known good endpoint. I use a service provided by my employer; you can set up your own VPN server in your home or office, or can use a VPN service provider.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.