Basic question, but.....

Hi,

I've just moved into a place in LA that has SBC Global wireless internet. The previous tenant used to connect to this service by using a wireless-g notebook adapter.

I've gone and bought the same adapter and have installed it successfully and the card is now detecting the system...i.e. signal strength and link quality both excellent.

Previously, all I've had is dial up internet so the question is this...what do I need to change or set up to make this new wireless set up my new internet connection? At the moment, if I click on Internet explorer...the dial up connection pop up appears and asks if I want to dial in.

Similarly, if I want to go to Cafe Java or starbucks or whereever they have a wireless connection..what would I need to change to be able to log on there?

Basic questions I know, but if someone could help me out, would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Reply to
Mr. Matthew Primus
Loading thread data ...

I would be nice o know what O/S you're talking about?

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Sorry, operating system is a toshiba satellite 1800 running windows me and the adapter is a lynksys wireless g wpc54g.

I an getting a message that the adapter is connected to the existing system but just cant get anything to happen.

Have disabled the previous dialup now but still no joy

Reply to
Mr. Matthew Primus

Hey, sound shot often bag something interesting. The neighbor, the game warden, or even a turkey now and then.

This is usenet, Clarence is being helpful. Don't be the turkey.

Reply to
Floyd L. Davidson

SBC in the SF Bay Area seems to provide WEP encrypted connections. Is the previous tenant still paying the bill?

Did you try to connect?

Internet Explorer - Tools - Internet options - Connections - "Never dial a connection".

Previous discussion in this group:

formatting link

Duane wants details? So he could provide an answer? Pshaw. Just take wild guesses at the popular answers ;-)

Reply to
dold

Just because you use a shot gun doesn't mean you're going to hit anything. ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

I could have posted my suggestions just by looking at the subject line.

I fired my shotgun in the same direction that hit a clay pigeon once before. It might catch something.

The thing that caught my eye was the "previous tenant" part. I wonder how long that WAP will work.

Reply to
dold

This may help you. I have not used a dial-up in a long long time, but if I had no use for something anymore, I would delete it. Maybe, that will clear your problem.

formatting link
Google and Dogpile.com are your friends.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

There's a shooter on the firing line -- let us all stand back. :)

One shoots enough times and one is bound to hit something I guess.

???????

Reply to
Duane Arnold

What? One is somehow restricted to not having fun on the Internet? You take it any further than that, then it may be your *personal* problem. ;-)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Clarence ignores usenet comments that he doesn't like, plays with some, and tries to be helpful with some.

Clarence also really does own a shotgun, and I'm sure Clarence has fired in the same spot more than once.

THE POPE VALLEY TURKEY SHOOT

formatting link

Reply to
dold

OP I hope you have gotten some help here -- that's all that counts. :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.