Bank mark on wireless adapter every reboot

Hi All,

I have a customer with a wireless calibration device. It is based on XP. Buried inside it (you have to disassemble the unit) is a "Via Network Technologies USB Wireless Lan adapter"

Problem: the wireless adapter always boots up with a bang mark on it in the device manager. If I uninstall it and scan for new hardware, it comes back perfectly. That is, until you shut down and reboot. Then the bang mark is back.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Many thanks,

-T

Reply to
Todd
Loading thread data ...

Not exactly. I've seen a similar problem when there is more than one device driver loaded for the same device. Also, on some buggish USB devices that can't tolerate being moved between different USB ports on the same machine. There are also all too many buggy USB device drivers. Check for updates.

Before I dive into the drivers, check for enable/disable problems.

1. Is the USB adapter set to be enabled in the BIOS? Some computahs have this setup. Also check the bios to make sure it doesn't turn off the power to USB to save energy.
  2. If the computah is a laptop, check if the is set to enable the wireless.
  3. Desktop -> Right click on My Network Places -> Right click on the USB device and make sure it's set to enable.
  4. Also right click on the USB device and select Properties. Look through the various setting and make sure that power management is disabled for the device.
  5. There might also be a setting for "allow Windoze to turn off this device to save power". Disable that.

Now for the duplicated duplicated drivers:

1. Start -> run -> cmd SET DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES=1 DEVMGMT.MSC The device manager should appear in a window
  2. View -> Show Hidden Devices You should now see lots more devices than the device manager usually shows. Go down the list of Wireless devices and see if you can find more than one USB wireless driver. Uninstall the surplus driver.

Incidentally, on my computah, the device manager now shows drivers for hardware that I haven't used for perhaps 5 years. Time for some major house cleaning.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff Liebermann wrote: ...

Thank you!

Reply to
Todd

Ummmm..... did it fix the problem?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Don't go out to the customer till next week.

Reply to
Todd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.