Bad Wireless Router?

I've been having connectivity problems for months and it's driving me berserk!

Situation: I have a home networking package consisting of 1 modem, 1 Linksys Wireless B router, a destop and a laptop. My internet connection is perfectly fine, if I run the cable from my modem directly to either my desktop or laptop, I connect fine 24/7 with no issues. But when I run the connection through the wireless router, I have frequent dropped connections throughout the day. Sometimes I get lucky and the connection holds for a full day without dropping, sometimes it drops literally every 20 minutes. Here is the weird part, if the connection drops, I unplug the cable going from the modem to the wireless router and plug it directly into my laptop so that the laptop is connected to the modem, and then verify that there's a connection from my modem, there always is. I then plug the cable back into the wireless router, and then the wireless connection is somehow "reset" and works again(until it drops again in another hour of course). Now if I simply unplug the line from the router wihtout plugging it into my laptop and then plug it back into the router(I wait a few minutes between replugging), the connection will NOT re-establish. It will ONLY re-establish if I first connect it to my computer. I am absolutely baffled as to what is causing this problem.

I have the router's setting to get an IP address automatically, I'm using WPA for security.

And in addition, I had bought a Netgear router thinking something was just wrong with the router, but I had the IDENTICAL same problem but even MORE frequent disconnections. So I took it back to the store.

I don't know what the heck to do anymore. I'm hoping someone has some pointers! Help!

Reply to
chrisa
Loading thread data ...

Do a hard reset of the router, by holding the Reset button for 30 seconds or more and power recycle the router off/on. Your router will be reset to factory default settings so you'll have to set the WAP key again.

You can disable the Wireless Zero Configuration on XP to see if that's dropping the wireless connection as the machine tries to connect to other networks in your area, dropping your connection.

You can have some kind wireless interference that could be happening that's causing the connection to be lost.

If you got a friend with a wireless laptop, then have them come over and connect to see if the problem follows. If the problem doesn't follow with the friend's computer, then may be your wireless card is going defective.

If the problem follows to your friend's computer, then you might have some kind of interference happening.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

I'd done this before and I think I had a solid 2 days of connection. After that, the problem came back with a vengeance. I'll try resetting again and seeing what happens.

I'm on Vista. Does vista still have the zero configuration issue?

Perhaps, but can't imagine what as I don't have any heavy electronics or anything around.

I have both my desktop and my laptop wirelessly connected. When it goes down, they both drop at the same time and both come up at the same time, so that disqualifies it as a wireless card issue.

Reply to
chrisa

You may try to change the wireless channel from the default to another one, on the router. Maybe your neighbours use wireless as well?

Reply to
Walter Mautner

You can also try to re-flash the router with its firmware as firmware can become sick and not function properly.

I have Vista on a laptop as well, and it has a wireless card. Vista has a WLAN Autoconfig service in Services, which seems to be the same thing as WZC on XP. You can try disabling that to see what happens.

WZC on XP allowed you to walk with a laptop or desktop, if you could walk with a desktop, and it would roam for a wireless connection.

The WAC is doing the same thing on Vista. Also, if I go to Device Manager and select the card, right-click/Properties/Advanced Button, it has a setting for Aggressive Roaming as well with various settings.

So, did these machines you have come with Vista? Did you upgrade to Vista doing an upgrade of Vista over the top of XP? If you did an Vista upgrade, did you check to see if the card had a driver for Vista? If Vista upgrade, did you do the Vista Compatibility check on the machine?

You got Vista on both machines. I would still have someone come over with a non Vista machine and see if the problem follows.

Also along with posting to alt.internet.wireless, you might want to post to a Microsoft.Public.Windows.Vista NG like Setup or Hardware, which they may be able to give you some things to look at about the issues you are having with your wireless connection.

I have seen your post in the sometimes, that's most of the time, madd house called 24hrs. :)

Reply to
Mr. Arnold

I had connectivity problems for 12 months, something like 500+ reconnections in that period (BT technical have a tracing system). Finally had a discussion with a knowledgeable tech and he arranged a BT engineers visit.

The cable entering my house had poor/corroded wiring. He renewed this and fitted a filter box at the same time...................been OK since.

Reply to
Yes Baby

For what it's worth, I've had similar troubles three different times. The first time, it was AC noise. I switched outlets and used a filtered UPS and the problem cleared. I actually caught the router dropping out and corrupting during a power glitch.

The second time, a firmware upgrade to the router fixed it.

The third time, it was simply a bad router.

These were all on different systems. Your problem may have nothing to do with any of these things -- I'm just suggesting stuff to check.

Good Luck!

Reply to
Bezmotivnik

Know how to check IP status, and connectivity? Which OS on clients?

Wanna tell?

Which connection-manager on client?

J
Reply to
barry

Reply to
UseNet

chrisa wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

You have a lot of good advice. FWIW, Let me throw one more into the mix. You say you have Vista, but this may apply there as well:

"The computer disconnects from a wireless network after random time intervals in Windows XP"

HTH, John

Reply to
John Wunderlich

One more piece of the puzzle perhaps. My router was actually being good. I was up for about more than a full day, wow. I had the same IP for the entire day from what I saw. My connection went down a few minutes ago. I unplugged the cable from the router(leading out the modem) into my laptop to verify a live connection which there was, then plugged it back into the router. And as usual the router is back up after doing that. I also notice that when I checked my IP address, it had changed.

Now what I wonder is whether my connection is dropping because my IP gets changed or did the IP change because I plugged it back into the router. That may be another clue as to the problem for me throw out there.

Reply to
chrisa

It's not likely your IP changed due to a brief disconnection by you.

That sounds like the problem I had for awhile with my Linksys router, because DHCP wasn't working after IP changes by my ISP. After I updated the router firmware to the latest, that problem went away.

I'd check the Linksys web site for your *exact* router version, to see if there are any updates that might help. They tell you what they correct. Good luck... bj

Reply to
chicagofan

Fraid it will, one connection via the wireless & the next by patch lead........that's a sure way of getting differing IP addresses (because it is being connected to differing MAC adresses).

I can't help but wonder why the OP hasn't tried using fixed IP adresses for each connection. If it is a DHCP problem it's one sure way of getting around it..

Reply to
Kraftee

My bad; I should have said that hadn't been my experience, rather than imply it wasn't likely for anyone else. :) bj

Reply to
chicagofan

I'm not too saavy with networking issues so not sure how to fix my IP addresses for each connection. I have a dynanic IP from my ISP, how do I change it to fixed?

Reply to
chrisa

Whatever the problem is, I am sure at this point that it has something to do with the computers acquiring an IP address. My connection went down a couple time, and when I opened up the find a network screen, I saw my SSID name, and then I saw it say "acquiring an IP address" and then a few seconds later it showed connected and it was fine. So perhaps this whole problem is the DHCP. By the way, I did update the firmware, and like I said in a previous post, I bought a brand new Netgear router right out the box and was still having the same problem, so I don't think it's related to router firmware. I'm wondering now if I need a new modem.

Reply to
chrisa

You don't.....

You turn of the DHCP server in your router & then assign IPs to each of your machines using the IP of your router as your gateway IP..

Do a google & it will be there...

Reply to
Kraftee

Depending on the router, you can also tell its DHCP server to "reserve" specific addresses (in its range) to specific machines on your LAN.

Reply to
Warren Oates

I've got a firewall which is supposed to do that.....doesn't work it just allocates the next free IP. Thankfully the print server isn't on when I try & log in wirelessly from my works laptop (yes it gives the same IP to both)

Reply to
Kraftee

I'll look into that, because I'm getting desperate for a solution. I upgraded modem firmware and the problem actually seems to have gotten WORSE!

Reply to
chrisa

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.