BackTrack2 LiveCD - running Kismet on Toshiba L35?

I'm trying to run Kismet on my Toshiba L35 laptop (Atheros wireless) using the BackTrack2 LiveCD, but I can't get there. If anyone has been able to do that, please tell me exactly how.

Or, if there's a better way - a better LiveCD for that purpose - that info would be great too. I just want to run Kismet, nothing else, and I don't know Linux at all.

Thanks very much.

Reply to
Peabody
Loading thread data ...

Nothing ventured nothing gained. I had a lot of problems with the 2 beta version, which I am now putting down to a corrupted burning of the iso. I don't have your laptop but I do have a couple of Atheros based cards. Try doing this:

1.open the "console" in BackTrack 2.type wlanconfig ath0 create wlandev wifi0 wlanmode monitor press enter. 3.type ifconfig ath0 up press enter. 4.type kismet -c madwifing_g,wifi0,madwifing_g press enter Kismet should now start.
Reply to
Kev

Well, I double-checked my CD, and it has no errors. So, if the iso file is correct, my CD is also.

Am I in the console at the command prompt I get after the initial root/toor login. If not, how do I get to the console from there?

Ok, I'll try that. Will this still have the "automatic configuration" of Kismet that the docs talk about?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
Peabody

Peabody wrote: .

After login type startx press enter

On the toolbar, at the bottom LHS of the window that appears, there is an icon like a TV Monitor. Click on it. .

. I couldn't get autoconfig to work with either my Atheros cards or my Ralink ones so had to use the Kismet capture instruction, as this is still a "beta" release they may resolve this for the final release.

Reply to
Kev

Ok, I got it to work. Thanks very much.

At first I thought something was wrong because even though the neighborhood machines showed up, my own router didn't. Is that because nothing is connected to it? I guess that makes sense since Kismet is passively sniffing, and my router has no traffic at the moment.

Reply to
Peabody

You should be able to see your own router. Check it again and let it scan for several minutes.

Reply to
Kev

Reply to
Forster Tuncurry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.