Avoid neighbor's router

My Linksys USB network adapter (WUSB54GS) keeps trying to connect to my neighbor's routers, even though they have different SSID's. What can I do. My router is the WRT54GS. Thanks LT

Reply to
LT
Loading thread data ...

Yes I'm transmitting my SSID. Shouldn't I? Shouldn't that make me wanna grab it 1st?

I thought by using the Linksys software, I didn't use windows WRC? Is that incorrect?

I'll try connecting to their networks and then disconnect from it, as the

1st poster noted.

Thanks

LT

---------------------

Reply to
LT

IIRC, you can go to "view wireless networks", connect to his network, disconnect from it, and now you are in 'manual' mode for that network, and will not connect to it automatically. That's XP SP2, FWIW...

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

None of this works, I guess because I'm using the Linksys software for my adapter and not windows WRC. Should I change to WRC or stay with the Linksys software? LT

----------------------

Reply to
LT

Are you transmitting your SSID?

Brian

Reply to
Brian K

formatting link

Reply to
Brian K

My link doesn't apply to you.

Reply to
Brian K

Either the Linksys utility should allow you to pick a preferred network, or you should set yours up as your default, or you should use the WZC stuff built into WinXP SP2. You are correct in assuming that the Linksys utilities and the WZC are mutually exclusive.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

I use WZC which Linksys recommended for WinXP (my NIC at least). The following could be helpful.

formatting link
Brian

Reply to
Brian K

if you're using WinXP go into the wireless settings, and tell XP never to connect to his router. Its something like network settings, your adapter, wireless, advanced. or something.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.