Automatically Control the Wireless Radio of IBM T40s/T42s

I have the following problem: I work in the IT department for a large corporation. I have been charged with deploying WiFi to the whole laptop community (with a Pilot phase of course).

- The laptops are a mix of IBM T40s and T42s, some with built in Wireless Chips, some not. The ones with Wifi integrated have Intel 2200 B/G chips. The others will be equipped with external PCMCIA cards to handle the WiFi connection.

- IBM Access Connections can be installed on all Laptops if necessary

- I have the following security requirements: - The Wireless LAN should not be active at the same time as the Wired connection - If the wireless radio is active, it should disable as soon as you connect the LAN cable in the office - If you activate the wireless radio while connected on the wired LAN, it should disable automatically ASAP or it should not be possible to activate the wireless radio while connected to the wired LAN

- I have a Firewall installed on all of the laptops that is able to remotely mange it's policies interactively, and it can Quarantine PCs based on compliance to certain rules (registry keys, processes running, ...)

Does anyone out there know if you can monitor the wireless radio state in the Windows registry? I found 2 places, but the key depends on the UID of the driver installed, meaning the the key will be different from one pc to the other. I have also tried to configure IBM Access Connections to meet my needs, but have only managed to do so partially (If you have a "Wired" profile and a "Wireless" one, it can automatically switch from Wireless to Wired when it detects that a LAN cable is plugged in, disabling the Radio, but if you then remove the cable and plug it back in, the Wireless Radio re-activates.

Has anyone ever been confronted with a similar issue?

Hope to hear from you guys soon... My deployment is stuck untill I find a reliable way of achieving the above...

Reply to
DD La Terreur
Loading thread data ...

Hello, anyone there???

Reply to
DD La Terreur

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.