Atheros AR5007EG in laptop-compatible discovery software?

I have this wifi adapter on my new laptop.Can anyone tell me software for discovery that will work? I am running vista and have tried netstumbler and wifi hopper to no avail.Thanks!

Reply to
RH
Loading thread data ...

Netstumbler and Wifi Hopper do not work with Vista. See Vistumbler at:

Also, you can do quite a bit from the command line. Try: Start -> run -> cmd wlan show networks mode=bssid

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Wifi Hopper build 2008-021700 is supposed to be Vista compatible.

formatting link

See Vistumbler

Reply to
LR

All these programs are telling me the adapter is not compatible.They run fine under vista but specifically say they wont work with this adapter.

Reply to
RH

Not having a card with that chipset I can only suggest trying either a:- Inssider

formatting link
Xirrus wifi monitor gadget
formatting link

Reply to
LR

That's not possible. The command line: wlan show networks mode=bssid is a *VISTA* command that comes with Windoze. If the card works under Vista, then the wlan show etc... command has to work. Vistumbler is just a front end for the wlan command.

Is this a new wireless card that you just installed in the machine? Does it work? Do you have the Vista driver installed and working? Can you connect to an access point? If possible, can you supply the exact error message along with some clue as to what you're doing?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

No,this is a new laptop,its what came installed on it.I don't want to use command line since I am mobile with this,I want to be able to scan whats available and hook up to it.The windows tool is ok,but I want something more detailed.

Reply to
RH

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Wifihopper nor netstumbler will work with this adapter.

Reply to
RH

I concur. Well I would say [does not work with adaptor]. Maybe it will work somehow or other.

Since I have the exact same adaptor and Vista and I too am trying a few things.

It works fine as a normal wireless card and I can connect.

Netstumbler lists it in it's Device menu

"Atheros AR5007EG wireless Network Adaptor Unknown Device (Unsupported)" "Realtek RTL81.......Fast Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6) Unknown Device (Unsupported)"

Both are greyed out.

This is the latest Netstumbler 0.4.0.

I installed it as a User I think and I have tried running it as Administrator.

Reply to
Bod43

formatting link
work - not sure exactly if it is equivalent but it is from what appears to be a reputable source.

Reply to
Bod43

Netstumbler has never worked with Vista. Inssider effectively uses the "netsh" command" "wlan show networks mode=bssid" and is taken from this project:-

formatting link

Reply to
LR

I can now say that Inssider works a charm on Vista with the AR5007EG.

:-)

Reply to
Bod43

Can you click the networks on there and have the computer use them to surf the web? Sort of like kismac for the mac. I want to see whats open,then click it and have the computer use that network,trying not to have to go to network,connect to a network,etc. I want to be able to quickly scan where I am at the time, and just get on a network with a click or two and not have to make an official connection.

Reply to
RH

No it just displays the "signal strength" as reported by Windows on a graph that looks similar to NetStumbler.

Otherwise it is dumb.

Reply to
Bod43

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.