Assistance with wireless network

Wireless AD-Hoc networking with two wireless cards, the Windows O/S as a gateway device and ICS is flaky to say the least about it.

You should do yourself a favor and save your furstation and be done with it by getting a wire/wireless NAT router. They have them for DSL too.

formatting link
You should think about the security too.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold
Loading thread data ...

Hi

I am getting a new centrino laptop machine shortly and I have bought a dlink DWL G520 wireless network card for my desktop machine. I currently have a LAN connection between 2 machines and i intend disconnecting this connection (or can I maintain a wireless and an LAN system at the same time?).

What I would like to do is to have the centrino connect to my desktop machine and use internet connection sharing on the desktop thought my DSL modem to access the internet. Is there any reason why this may not work if configured correctly? This appears to be a simple process of substitution of the LAN cable for a wireless interface - is that right?

Any advice and pointers appreciated.

Doug

Reply to
gordon

I really cannot recommend one for you. However, I'll provide a list of the top manufactures and if you're interested in one you can go to the manufacturer's site and read the datasheet about the product.

formatting link
You should get one that's using WAP and has SPI a *G* model.

You should get one that does logging so that you can review inbound and outbound traffic to possible dubious remote IP(s) with a logviewer such as Wallwatcher or Kiwi Syslog Daemon and both viewers are free the Kiwi is more generic, but Wallwatcher is my tool of choice.

formatting link
You may want to invest in a UPS/AVR system to protect your investment. I use a Belkin myself but there are other good ones too and they are cheap.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Thanks for your advice Duane,

Can you recommend a good wireless router for me?

Cheers

Reply to
gordon

PC Magazine recently reviewed a bunch of wireless router / APs.

formatting link

Reply to
DanR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.