Arris Touchstone Modem and Linksys WRT54G - No Internet Over Network

I posted about a month ago about a problem with a router and modem, and now I'm back with the same problem. In my last post I got no answer to my problem but somehow after playing with the modem and router, they linked up again.

So here we go again.. out of the blue the internet stopped working on all networked PCs. I reset the router, the modem, and no luck. I boot up the modem first, then the router.. nothing. Try router first, then modem - same. Try both at once - same. Shut both down for 15 min and then try rebooting - same.

When I unplug the cable from the router and plug into the PC, I get a 'Limited or No Connectivity' error. I check the connection settings and find an 'Automatic Private IP' starting with 169. I then reset the modem, and it connects to the PC and the internet works. I can reset the modem over and over while plugged into the router, but it never works.

I read about the MAC address cloning and used ipconfig /all to get the physical address of my ethernet port on the PC, and turned cloning on in the router settings. That still didn't do anything.

Any ideas? I have a Linksys WRT54G router and an Aris Touchstone Telephony modem (does internet, digital telephone). I remove the backup battery form the modem when I reset it. My ISP is Comcast.

Thanks, Doug

Reply to
kb1jec
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.