Are WiFi clients detectable, like APs?

Yes. A passive sniffer like Kismet (under Linux).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

I have Wififofum running on my iPAQ and it can detect peers (clients).

Reply to
2004TL.NBP

I can fire up an app like NetStumbler and see all the APs within range.

Is there something similar which detects clients?

Reply to
Bert Hyman

formatting link
The clients window has a similar selection of columns which can be enabled: crypt Number of encrypted data packets transfered by client data Number of data packets transfered by client decay Displays '!', '.', or ' ' based on network activity ip Last seen IP used by client mac MAC address of client manuf Manufacturer of client (if known) maxrate Maximum rate client seen transfering noise Last seen noise level of client signal Last seen signal level of client size Amount of data transferred by client type Type of client (Established, To-DS, From-DS, etc) weak Number of packets which appear to have weak IVs

Rob

Reply to
Rob

I asked the same question some time ago, but nobody seems to know. Does Kismet really detects clients ?!

Reply to
Ron

formatting link
< screenshot of the interface

NETGEAR is one client and the oddly named ones below it are part of a city wide network. the data networks are cisco access points that pester any and all cisco clients within range,and all the rest are AP's

Reply to
Luddite

I think you will find that they are ad-hoc(peer to peer) networks.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

AirSnare

Bert Hyman wrote:

Reply to
Steffo

How will AirSnare detect wireless clients that do *NOT* connect to the access point where the only data it can obtain is sniffing the ethernet LAN port traffic? Sure, it will detect connection attempts but not every client is setup to connect to every access point it hears.

formatting link
is a nifty program for intrusion detection, but it's not useful for this.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.