are there any decent infrared transceivers still around?

I'm helping set up some systems in a large open office where there's _lots_ of RF in the area, messing up 802.11.

Running ethernet cable to each desk is pretty painful.

Way, way, back there were infrared transceivers you could hook up for data transmission. True, they were quite slow by today's standards...

Any suggestions for something avaiable today? Speed isn't too critical as these are mostly work stations with text material back and forth.

Thanks.

Reply to
danny burstein
Loading thread data ...

have you scanned the 5.8 gig which has free space and cheap routers

Reply to
atec 7 7

Not specifically but it's likely to be busy as well. The RF in the room is caused by lots and lots of motors and motor-gnerators and other big electrical nasties...

Think of Dr. Frankenstein's laboratory. During a thunderstorm.

But I will see if I cn hobble up a couple of 802.11a sets and see if it's any better. thanks

Reply to
danny burstein

The problem with IR is that any time anyone walks by the transceiver, everyone loses their connection.

Honestly, I doubt you'll be happy with this solution long term.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

Maybe you know someone with a suitable spec analyser although testing by running is the best , there is modulated laser but it costs other than that sheilded cat6

Reply to
atec 7 7

Have you tried 5.7GHz 802.11a?

Yes, but you only feel the pain once. You also gain considerable speed if you use gigabit ethernet.

(The discontinues network IR switches can still be found).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

does each puter have power? i have my router set up to connect my router to the powerline thing, and then wherever i have the puter and ac i also have a network connection. true, it will slow down with multiple things, but i'm guessing that even slowed down it will be faster than ir

at any rate, no idea if you looked at considered it, but heres a link for you for the netgear home stuff

Reply to
Peter Pan

If it's an environment with lots of RF noise due to ELECTRICAL MOTORS then it's unlikely the powerline will be free of noise.

Best bet would be wired ethernet. Yeah, it may be a hassle to wire it but at least then you'll KNOW it will work and stay that way.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

umm it's sending digital packets over the wire that happens to be a powerline, why would any rf noise effect those digital packets, any more than digital packets over an ethernet wire?

if it was analog, i'd see where noise can cause problems, but are digital packets the same as analog?

Reply to
Peter Pan

"Peter Pan" wrote in news:6fSdnYPCC96rE6_WnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Because the ethernet wire shouldn't have the noise on it, since the ethernet wire wouldn't be connected directly to noise sources, such as electrical motors.

Disruptive noise is disruptive noise....think of TV.....what happens when there's a noisy analog signal ? You get snow in the picture.

And a noisy 'digital' signal, what do you get ? Nothing. It drops packets, and holds the last good frame until a new good frame comes through.

Reply to
DanS

Meanwhile, at the alt.internet.wireless Job Justification Hearings, Peter Pan chose the tried and tested strategy of:

Ethernet will be twisted pair, whereas powerline won't. Also, you can get shielded ethernet.

Reply to
alexd

I think IRDA is a dead end these days, but I don't see a reason why IRDA couldn't be set up without interference in an office setting. Set up the maid node on the ceiling. Put the computer end of the business on the to of the cube wall where blocking is unlikely.

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.