Apple Mac G4 Power book - apps for wifi

I'm a bit frustrated with the limited functionality of the apple installed wifi adaptor in this G4.

It works but does not provide anything in the way of information on what's going on. Are there any third party apps that provide more info on the AP in the immediate area?

OS is 10.2

Reply to
NotMe
Loading thread data ...

Upgrade to 10.4, and we can talk. Maybe. What kind of "info" are you looking for?

Reply to
Warren Oates

Up grade will be the next gen in Oct. I'd like to be able to see what APs are avaiable and a bit of info on each.

Reply to
NotMe

formatting link
Use the pull-down menu to download KisMAC v0.12a for OS X 10.2.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

• Wasn't there also a Mac Stumbler available, similar to the NetStumbler?

formatting link

• Watch out also for WEP keys in Hex. You have to tell the Airport that it is Hex, or else it will not connect. I've had this happen on several yacht customers of mine.
Reply to
Alan Spicer

KisMAC will do a lot more than any stumbler. It can tell you when your neighbours pretty daughter is ovulating, almost.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

| > > NotMe wrote: | | | | > >> OS is 10.2 | > >

| > >

formatting link
| > >

| > > Use the pull-down menu to download KisMAC v0.12a for OS X 10.2. | >

| > * Wasn't there also a Mac Stumbler available, similar to the NetStumbler? | | KisMAC will do a lot more than any stumbler. It can tell you when your | neighbours pretty daughter is ovulating, almost.

Considering that my neighbor's youngest daughter is in her late 60's ...

Reply to
NotMe

• Okee doke. If anyone wants to send me a Mac I'll try it out. I may tell one of my more technical customers to try it out for me :-)

I personally only run a Mac Emulator. I am a proud owner of Mac OS X 10.4.3 Tiger. Only use it to test stuff. Can't test wireless.

Thanks for the info, by the way. No hard feelings.

Reply to
Alan Spicer

Same here. BTW, KisMAC is an OS X port of Kismet, which runs on Linux - and BSD UNIX too, I think. You could try out Kismet. Both are free and can do passive scanning and packet reinjection - with the right wireless cards.

For Windows:

-free for 30 days.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

If you can, I'd upgrade to 10.4.10 -- it's a free download.

Reply to
Warren Oates

And with lots of bugs. Check microsoft's own Mac:office NGs first.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Not here. My Office (student/teacher) works fine.

Reply to
Warren Oates

Off topic, still

: User-Agent: Microsoft-Entourage/11.3.3.061214 : Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 06:01:24 -0400 : Subject: {Ann: Apple Updates] : From: CyberTaz : Message-ID: : Thread-Topic: {Ann: Apple Updates] : Thread-Index: AcfFNMUnA4LmqzEoEdyAWgANkzTQEA== : Mime-version: 1.0 : Content-type: text/plain; : charset="US-ASCII" : Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit : Newsgroups: : microsoft.public.mac.office.word,microsoft.public.mac.office, : microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage, : microsoft.public.mac.office.powerpoint, : microsoft.public.mac.office.excel : NNTP-Posting-Host: c-69-140-99-205.hsd1.md.comcast.net 69.140.99.205 : Path: TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl : Lines: 1 : Xref: TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl microsoft.public.mac.office:22656 : microsoft.public.mac.office.entourage:78022 : microsoft.public.mac.office.powerpoint:13265 : microsoft.public.mac.office.excel:23304 : microsoft.public.mac.office.word:53956 : : Just came across this from VersionTracker.com which may be an item of : interest to many; : : MacFixIt Special Report: Troubleshooting Mac OS X 10.4.10 Apple's : latest OS release has come fraught with pitfalls for a wide swath of : users. According to a recent MacFixIt poll, 31% of people had problems : with the update, and of those, almost 11% report "major" issues : involving failure to boot or data loss. Part of the issue stems from : the update's seemingly innocuous naming convention - "10.4.10" is : being read by some applications as "10.4.1" causing some applications : to quit because they require a version higher than 10.4.1 to run (It : should also be noted that 69 percent of respondents reported their : Macs to be running fine). : : Regards |:>) : Bob Jones : [MVP] Office:Mac

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

I know, but still:

they read 10.4.10 as 10.4.1? Jesus H.

Only in Microshaft-land. They don't have leading zeros?

Reply to
Warren Oates

Reply to
Neill Massello

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.