AP used as a "bridge"?

I'm not sure I'm using the correct terminology; I may be looking for "node" instead of "bridge".

What I'd like to do is use an inexpensive self-contained wireless device to allow an ethernet-equipped time and attendance terminal to access (and be accessed by) our office network. Even though the distance is only 40', hard-wire is impossible (economically and cosmetically).

We presently have a wireless access point by which several office computers use the LAN. I'd like the terminal to access the LAN by the AP we already have, rather than having to create a bridge connection with two new wireless devices.

I've configured ONE AP in the last three years (and used a wizard), so I'm not familiar with the features of cheap WallyWorld APs like LinkSys, etc.

Suggestions?

Thanks, LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh
Loading thread data ...

yes - it's an Ethernet Bridge -

I use a Linksys WET11 in the family room along with a small 5-port hub, to link our xbox + Tivo to the Internet via our home WiFi network.

Here's the newer version

formatting link

Reply to
ps56k

"ps56k" fired this volley in news:ePnSj.3311$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr13.news.prodigy.net:

Thanks, That was perZakly what I was looking for. For us non-wireless competent people, it looks like a simple solution.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

if this is in the middle of a factory floor, you might grab a WiFi laptop and go stand where the table is located to verify you have a good WiFi signal and there is no major or continuous RF interference such as welders, RF heater/sealers, etc -

Reply to
ps56k

"ps56k" fired this volley in news:NFoSj.1115$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr21.news.prodigy.net:

'Tis two small buildings separated by 40' with concrete the bosses don't want marred between, and nowhere to locate directional boring equipment. Overhead is a no-no, too.

There are no machines except computers and an old mechanical/electrical time clock.

I did the test your recommended before I made the post, to make sure I'd have connectivity there.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

just to toss out another alternative - AC power or copper wire bridges. We used these to extend our network out to the loading dock area as we couldn't get a good signal thru the windows & metal roof/siding...

formatting link
a Phoneline adapter.... Ethernet over a common phoneline wiring vs AC powerline wiring

Reply to
ps56k

And you did this testing during peak times it would be in use? Interference from industrial equipment can be a show-stopper. Same issue with powerline gadgetry.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.