AOL & wireless

Hi, I am trying to set up a laptop wirelessly to use an AOL service on a Dlink dsl-g604t do it all box, wireless card utility sees the dlink correct wep etc, but I cannot configure the internet access, is this an AOL thing that i am missing, not an AOL user myself. Ta Chris

Reply to
Merlin©
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 20:22:27 +0100, "Merlin©" wrote in :

What do you mean by "cannot configure the internet access"?

Reply to
John Navas

You should be using WPA-PSK - wep is broken in a matter of minutes so all your friends neighbours will be getting a free connection. Try Google for how to set up AOL with the DLINK, it's been discussed many times on this group. Some of the AOL help pages also tell you.

Reply to
Dave

He means that he doesn't know what user name and password to put in to the config pages. The wireless part works, but there is no connection to AOL. If you can't help him don't pick at his message.

Reply to
Dave

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 20:32:58 GMT, "Dave" wrote in :

You know that ... how?

It's not 'picking' to ask for essential information that was left out. What if you're wrong?

Have a nice day.

Reply to
John Navas

Thanks chaps, to clarify John, I had the laptop setup & working on my own non aol network , when trying on the aol network, I am able to configure the wifi card & see the dlink responses with an 80% signal, however IE does not connect to the web , just gives the old web page not found. point being it is previously all set up to wifi fine but wont on an aol service

Reply to
Merlin©

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 22:19:28 +0100, "Merlin©" wrote in :

What do you mean by "non aol network?" Same Dlink dsl-g604t? Just LAN access? Or WAN (Internet)? Which ISP?

Reply to
John Navas

Non AOL in as much as it is a 2wire wap on a wanadoo now orange system

Reply to
Merlin©

On Fri, 7 Jul 2006 22:56:24 +0100, "Merlin©" wrote in :

Thus non-AOL DSL. Thanks, that helps. I'm assuming it's now AOL Broadband in the UK over BT -- right? Have you installed the AOL software?

Have you contacted AOL UK for support?

Reply to
John Navas

John was trying to get more information in order to focus a 'helpful' response. You could be right by 'assuming' it's a username and password problem or just wasting space.

Take a pill.

BernieM

Reply to
BernieM

"Dave" hath wroth:

AOL uses PPPoE. The usual mistake is to forget to put in the full user name. It has to be something like: user: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com passwd: xxxxxxxx The user name alone won't work. The user name has to be the master account name, not any of the subsidiary accounts.

I'm not sure if AOL authenticates by MAC address. I don't think so, but it might be useful to clone the PC's MAC address to the router, especially if switching back and forth between a PC and a router.

I'm 100 times worse than John. I don't pick at a message. I tear it apart. I'm evil, mean, nasty, demanding, arrogant, and have a very short temper. If you can ignore that, I'm also helpful, knowledgeable, and will work a problem through to the end (as time permits).

The problem is that many of the messages are lacking in the absolute minimum information necessary to supply a decent answer. Thats:

1. What are you trying to accomplish?
  2. What do you have to work with? (Hardware, software, model numbers, versions, firmware, etc).
  3. For troubleshooting, what have you done so far and what happened? Include error messages if possible.

Much of John's picking and my tearing is trying to extract this minimal information from the person with the problem. If you don't understand that, then I suggest you try asking an auto mechanic for repair advice with disclosing the maker, year, model, and symptoms. It's no different for wireless troubleshooting.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.