AOL Help!!!

Hi,

Apologies if this has been mentioned in the past but having a few problems (1 in partcular) so can anybody give me some advice?

Firstly, my broadband connection is through AOL and everything has been fine.

Recently purchased a laptop though so decided to have the PC connected to a wireless routher (Belkin54g) via an RJ45 ethernet connection and then my laptop connected through its wireless connection.

I managed to get the PC to recognise the router and I get the internet working on the main PC but although my laptop can see the router no problem and connects easily (including it saying that the internet is connected when connected through the main PC - laptop has Vista by the way so it gives me these useless messages) to the router, I am unable to run the internet. I have tried to diagnose the problem and I have also tried it throuh a WEP encryption along with no encryption but still no internet.

The router says that it should work with AOL (although the AOL website doesnt say anything about it) and as I am connected to it wirelessly I would expect it to work.

My main concern is this stupid idea of having to log on using AOL that they seem to insist on. With my previous broadband connection it was simply just always on, didnt need this stupid logon screen, do you think this could be the issue?

ANyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Alex.

P.S> No suggestions to leave AOL please, I know its a mistake - I dont need it to be told to me again! :-)

Reply to
Romkidda
Loading thread data ...

Don't know where you live but in the UK you need to use AOL 9.0VR with Vista. Assuming you are using their s/ware.

formatting link

Reply to
Kev

s/ware.http://help.aol.co.uk/aol-90-vr-vista-ready/article/20070115104309990001

Thanks for that information.

Do you know if I need AOL on the wireless PC then? Do I still have to connect through AOL like I used to? Alternatively, do I need the other PC connected. What confuses me is that when the other PC is connected via AOL I get a message on the wireless Vista PC that says "internet connected" in the bottom right hand corner.

Also, if I have no internet, how do I get AOL 9.0VR, do you know where I can get it?

Thanks again,

Alex.

Reply to
Romkidda

You may find this of interest, again UK based:-

formatting link
There is also this regarding e-mail:-
formatting link

Reply to
Kev

So you have one AOL account, and are always logged on via wired, and wonder why you can't log on a second time? My aol thing only allows one connection at a time... I had to turn off the wired one (that was always on) to connect via wireless....

Reply to
Peter Pan

If you believe them, from the router easy installer guide:-

formatting link

Reply to
Kev

formatting link
From that FAQ, see the answer for problem #1... did you do that yet? Can you use two WIRED connections off the router? (eliminates any of the possible causes of interference in #2)

Note that even for #1, you have to make changes... Bet you still have to make those changes before you even consider the other stuff in #2.... (sorry I tried to cut and paste specifics, but it won't let me do that)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.