AOL discontinuing Newsgroup access !

Reply to
BigJIm
Loading thread data ...

AOL has informed users that in early 2005 that service will stop access to Newsgroups. Bummer. Sure, I can get to Newsgroups using the new Google "Groups" feature or thru IE.....but the AOL format for Usenet is much easier to read and manage. Send AOL a nasty email if this bothers you too.

Reply to
Sam Ormes

Yeah it bothers me too, but this might cause AOL users to end their service with them. I may be one of them too. It just might be the last straw! later, dave (One out of many daves)

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Probably because they can't control content. It's amazing how many Americans can't stand freedom. They should lay off Iraq.

Reply to
Rodney Kelp

Try this free news server news.individual.net, it is free. All you have to do is register. You can use Outlook Express or any other news viewer.

formatting link

Reply to
Tony Marsillo

Sorry, Try this link.

formatting link

Reply to
Tony Marsillo

That may be true, but I think this on is better that most. I use it instead of my Optimum account. Here is a link to the number of days post are retained.

formatting link

Reply to
Tony Marsillo

The problem with almost, and I mean 99.999999%, of free usnet servers is that they have almost no post retention and miss many parts of threads...

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Better yet, just quit giving monopolistic AOL your money. AOL, ever since it first got into the internet, has been cruddy relative to smaller locally owned ISP's. In spite of a wonderful marketing effort by AOL, that is still true today. Their biggest source of customers has always been dependent of those who are technologically illiterate and quite naive about the internet and service available. Almost any locally owned smaller ISP is far better, far less manipulating and far less Spam ridden than the likes of AOL. When it comes to ISP's smaller is almost -always- better, and has been ever since the invention of the internet. And yes, I have subscribed to both CompuServe

Reply to
Morty McSnerd

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.