Anywhere-in-the-city wireless internet

I phrased my previous question a bit awkwardly.

I'm looking for any kind of wireless service that allows you to access the internet wherever you are in your city, similar to a cell phone, without the need to rely on hotspots. It can be dial-up or broadband. Do such services exist? If so, what are some?

Reply to
Scott H
Loading thread data ...

the 3G network does this. You get a little usb thingy and plug it in and it connects via the 3G cell network, like a mobile phone. Three bad things I noticed: 1) speed is slow, not much better than a dial-up 2) the usb device is a bitch to install 3) support is only available by registering at the 3G site and giving them all your details.

Reply to
tg

It's still fairly awkward.

Cellular wireless broadband does not rely on hot spots. Reading between your vague requirements, it would seem that cellular broadband or perhaps email only services would work. Whatcha gonna be doing?

Yes, such services exist. WiMax is the most common type.

formatting link
Any particular city?

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Full internet access, including chat rooms. I do not plan on playing any online games, so the connection doesn't need to be that fast.

I'd prefer not to reveal the city, but I'd like to know how to check. I did some Googling without much luck.

Reply to
Scott H

You might get valuable actual answers from users if you weren't so secretive. Its not like someone asked for a DNA sample and time/date and coordinates accurate to 1 meter.

Reply to
George

Did you check if your cellular provider has an IM only service? Verizon Wireless does:

If messaging is your forte, you might look into 2-way paging, Blackberry/RIM, Terrestar/Motient, etc.

How "full" do you want? You don't need "full" internet access just to run a chat room.

The defunct Metricom/Ricochet network would have done the job at

19.2Kbit/sec, but that's gone. Some cellular providers still have low speed (about 14.4Kbits/sec) access. As I recall, Verizon was charging me an extra $5/month. However, data connect time counted against my monthly minutes, whether data is moving or if I'm just reading the screen. That added up fast so I dumped the service.

Suit yourself. Try here:

The TowerStream, Clearwire, and Sprint sites all have WiMax coverage locators. For other WiMax providers, slog through this list:

Also search Google for "WISP WiMax".

Also, if you have a suitable vehicle on which to mount a rather large (1 meter) dish, you can possibly subscribe to one of the satellite internet vendors. Hughesnet and WildBlue are the major players.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

If you have a wide network of friends around town, they might let you plug in your laptop for a dial-up connection. And if they have DSL or cable, you can get broadband speeds.

If you want wireless connectivity and if you are in the very, very, very limited number of towns that have MuniWiFi, that might work.

Otherwise, look at a cellular connection card.

Reply to
DTC

well, without knowing the city, i'd say plan on spending BIG BIG BIG bucks for a two way satellite internet system, they work on RV's all over... course if you would part with a bit of information, you may get some cheaper alternatives... oh well, Close mouth and open wallet....... :)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Use your mobile phone (what the yanks call cellular) as a modem. Its going to be expensive. (in Europe) You'd be looking at 3G data services or maybe EDGE. Many if not all major mobile phone companies have a data package. You can access these from anywhere you can get phone reception.

The alternative, if you're lucky, is a citwide wireless network of some sort. See

formatting link

if your chosen city has a muni wireless broadband network you'd know - they're expensive to install, rare and tend to be heavily advertised in a desperate attempt to recoup costs.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.