Anything to gain by moving from WRT54G to 54GS?

I've used a WRT54G for about two years, and for almost all of that time I've run third-party firmware (currently DD-WRT v23 SP1 Final). I now have access to a WRT54GS version

4.0. tells me that my WRT54GS doesn't have any more RAM or flash and isn't any faster than my WRT54G, and that the only additional hardware feature is the 54GS's SpeedBoost, which I can't use anyway because I don't have any Linksys SpeedBoost-compliant wireless cards. Thus, there's no particular advantage in swapping out the 54G for the 54GS. Is this correct?
Reply to
Yeechang Lee
Loading thread data ...

That is totally correct, you would gain absolutely nothing by changing....

However, you wouldn't be much of a consumer if you didn't buy something that will do absolutely nothing for you (cept cause trouble), and support the economy by spending money wastefully.. If you don't waste money on the newest things that are being advertised, you run the risk of being called "frugal"...

Reply to
Peter Pan

Yeah, let's all jump on the MIMO/Pre-N/Draft-N/Real-N bandwagon! 8*)

Oh, wait, buy the GS first. 8*)

Reply to
William P.N. Smith

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 11:34:09 -0400, "Peter Pan" wrote: : Yeechang Lee wrote: : > I've used a WRT54G for about two years, and for almost all of that : > time I've run third-party firmware (currently DD-WRT v23 SP1 Final). I : > now have access to a WRT54GS version : > 4.0. tells me that my : > WRT54GS doesn't have any more RAM or flash and isn't any faster than : > my WRT54G, and that the only additional hardware feature is the 54GS's : > SpeedBoost, which I can't use anyway because I don't have any Linksys : > SpeedBoost-compliant wireless cards. Thus, there's no particular : > advantage in swapping out the 54G for the 54GS. Is this correct? : : That is totally correct, you would gain absolutely nothing by changing.... : : However, you wouldn't be much of a consumer if you didn't buy something that : will do absolutely nothing for you (cept cause trouble), and support the : economy by spending money wastefully.. If you don't waste money on the : newest things that are being advertised, you run the risk of being called : "frugal"...

or even "miserly".

Reply to
Robert Coe

Luddites

Mike

Reply to
Mike

I experienced 5 months of frustration trying to get my wireless system working using Linksys router and adapter (same model as above). I was finally told the problem was a conflict between the MS and the Linksys Adapter Utility. One phone tech then told me that the 54GS version resolves the conflict, which annoyed me because they had apparently known of the conflict and were already working on a solution while I was going through all this.

However, I did not go that route. I switched to the MS (WZC).

Having not used my laptop for a couple months, I have today discovered that my laptop and desktop are no longer networked. I could scream! I recently upgraded my NIS -- could that be the problem? Could the switch to WZC have caused the problem?

I started to use the Network Wizard but stopped right away, because I don't even know if I'm supposed to check the box for the 1394 connection (mine is connected) or the Local Area connection (mine says it's unplugged).

I have the MS firewall turned off. Can anyone point me to the starting place to get my two computers networked?

Reply to
MOB

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 14:30:56 -0400, MOB wrote in :

What is the exact symptom of your problem? Try turning off all security as a troubleshooting starting point.

Reply to
John Navas

I turned off NIS and NAV, checked My Network Places and my desktop and laptop are no longer networked, as they were up till a few months ago.

Reply to
MOB

Both of my computers are XP PRO.

Reply to
MOB

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:04:26 -0400, MOB wrote in :

In the wireless router as well.

I need the "exact symptom" of the problem. "Doctor, it hurts," isn't enough to go on.

What does "no longer networked" mean? Are the computers visible to each other? SharedDocs folders? Can they ping each other? Is it just other shares that aren't visible? etc.

Reply to
John Navas

I don't know what "in the wireless router as well" means.

I'm not computer-sophisticated. To me, if I "checked My Network Places" and report " my desktop and laptop are no longer networked," that means the computers are no longer visible to each other (they are not listed in each other's Network Places).

I've never used "SharedDocs folders." I only used the Briefcase feature.

I don't know how to "ping."

Reply to
MOB

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 15:31:59 -0400, MOB wrote in :

No encryption (WEP or WPA). No MAC filtering. No SSID hiding. No blocking.

You didn't say that before. Thanks for the additional info -- that's helpful. Unfortunately, there can be lots of different causes.

What happens when you Search for them? What happens when you use the NET VIEW command? See below.

That only works over a network with correctly configured sharing.

NET VIEW of the shares of one computer (named JohnsTP) on my own LAN:

The only visible shared resource is "SharedDocs".

Reply to
John Navas

These phrases obviously aren't intended to actually help me, and so it's not surprising that they *don't* help me. I've no idea what they mean or what they're supposed to be prompting me to do.

No. I *did* say that before. I said I checked My Network Places and saw that my desktop and laptop were no longer networked. Now what precisely might I have see that conveyed that unwelcome truth to me?? Ah yes!! they were not listed. Intuition, John, can fill in many blanks, if one wants the blanks filled in. You obviously didn't.

I'm afraid I wouldln't know what to Search for. : (

I've never used NET VIEW, but I'll certainly check it out.

Really?!??!? Well then we're back at the beginning, aren't we.... I said "my disktop and my laptop are no longer networked, as they were up till a few months ago."

That says there WAS, until a few months ago, a "correctly configured network." And my question was, can anyone tell me what might have caused the heretofore correctly configured network to vanish, without a trace, so to speak.

I'll check this out, too -- the problem will be trying to figure out what the result tells me about how to solve my problem.

Thank you for this information. I only wish I knew how to make use of it.

But I don't.

MOB

Reply to
MOB

He means disable WEP/WPA security in your router.

On any OS you care to mention except MacOS9 and TOS, open a command prompt and type

ping some.remotehost.com

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 18:23:58 -0400, MOB wrote in :

Best of luck to you.

Reply to
John Navas

Well, given your responses to messages in this thread it's clear you've got issues. Start by picking up a 'For Dummies' book, one on wireless and perhaps another one on networking. Otherwise you're just wasting your time and pissing off folks that might otherwise be interested in trying to help you.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.