Anyone using WEP with WRE54G

I have spent several hours trying to get a Linksys WRE54G to work with WEP enabled. I have a WRT54G router. Following the Linksys install instructions I disable encryption in the router and plug in the WRE54G. I press the auto-install button and it installs. Everything seems to be working fine. When I enable WEP either first in the WRE54G or first in the router, the red light goes on on the WRE54G which appears to mean it is not installed. Has anyone gotten this to work?

Reply to
Dave G
Loading thread data ...

What firmware are you using with the WGR54G? Make sure you have upgraded the firmware to at least v.2.02.2. The latest firmware is

3.01.3. What OS are you using? I'm assuming it is Windows XP.

According to the Linksys website, do the following:

ftp://ftp.linksys.com/pdf/wre54g_ug.pdf Common Problems and Solutions

1. The Wireless-G Range Expander will not connect to my Wireless-G network. Go through this checklist: ? Verify that your PC can communicate with your wireless network. ? Press the Range Expander?s reset button (with a pin or a pen) for five seconds. This should reset the Range Expander?s settings back to their default. ? Disconnect the Range Expander?s power for 30 seconds. Then, connect the power again. ? Press the Auto configuration button on the side of the Range Expander. As long as it is within range of an access point or wireless router that has disabled WEP, it should communicate with it.
  2. The Setup Wizard does not detect the Range Expander. Go through this checklist: ? Press the Range Expander?s reset button (with a pin or a pen) for five seconds. This should reset the Range Expander?s settings back to their default. ? Disconnect the Range Expander?s power for 30 seconds. Then, connect the power again.

ftp://ftp.l>I have spent several hours trying to get a Linksys WRE54G to work with WEP

Just Me, D

Reply to
Doug Jamal

The LinkSys web site states a minimum firmware of 2.02.2 for the WRT54G router to me compatible with the WRE54G. What is the current firmware version on your WRT54G router?

David

Dave G wrote:

Reply to
David Chong

I am using firmware "2.04.3, Jun 24, 2004" and Win XP Pro with SP/2. I have followed Linksys's directions several times and can get the WRE54G to work without WEP but not after turning WEP on.

Dave G

Reply to
Dave G

Please see my previous post.

Dave G

Reply to
Dave G

Dave, I just got mine working. I am using a WRT54G router and the WRE54G. Turns out I had to DOWNGRADE the firmware to 2.02.2. Anything higher and as of today...it will NOT work. I spent days working on debugging this.

I no have WEB working with the router and blue lights and everybody is happy. Major Linksys flaw in router firmware...and their knowledgebase article on this topic is incorrect as well. I emailed them. They need to fix the firmware and in the interim, update the knowledgebase.

Try reseting the repeater using the button for 30 seconds, install new firmware on the router (downlevel) and I bet everything will work even with WEP. Keith

Reply to
Keith

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.