Anyone using Clearwire WiMax?

Is anyone using Clearwire WiMax? If so, please tell me how you like it and if it works well when mobile and on the move like in a bus etc. What are you paying per month too?

TIA, Danno

Reply to
Dan
Loading thread data ...

snipped-for-privacy@seattlewireless.net There are/were some early adopters on this list. It would make sense to do a post and get more up to date information.

Reply to
miso

I personally don't have it but I have two or three friends that do. I also helped beta test the new pcmcia card as well as some other devices for them a few months ago. In my area if you can get a good signal you can easiely max out your connection speed. We found it works pretty good mobile and depending on where you are at you'll see 300 to 900K when moving. Seemed to be the same with the PC card and the shark fin radio. My only gripe about Clearwire is it's speed. For what it is it's great but I would not replace my internet connection at home with it.. But I am thinking about mouting it in my car.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Winter

I used it for a year (contract length) and was pretty happy with it for the first 11 months. During the last month, I had a recurring problem of dropped connections because I intermittently couldn't get an ip address from the local tower. When I tried to report the tower problem to tech support they wouldn't listen. Their records apparently stated that I used linux and they wanted me to move the Clearwire modem to a windows computer and reboot . I pretended to go through that nonsense just so I could get them to check the tower with the faulty dhcp but the problem didn't resolve. I finally got mad and cancelled the service at the end of my contract and self-installed a cable modem without a contract.

The top speed during my year with them was 1.5 Mb and I see they have a plan for 2 Mb now. My home modem was about $50/mo and there is an extra monthly charge for the pc card.

It's an acceptable alternative to the local teleco or cable company if you live in an area that has many towers. My small town had only one that I could use and getting any interest in troubleshooting it was difficult to impossible.

BTW, if you sign up with them, your yearly contract is automatically renewed unless you remember to tell them in the 11th month that you want to go month-to-month instead of yearly.

Karen

Reply to
Karen

"Adair Winter" wrote in news:mjC%i.21185$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr23.news.prodigy.net:

That's funny. That's what we used to call the Gen2 Clearwire(version1 company) CPE.

Reply to
DanS

I would love to be able to get internet radio in the car. And WiMax seems like the way to do it.

Reply to
Dan

I just got it with the stand up modem. I've been getting 3 lights (max 5) and seem to get pretty good speed. ~*~*~*Amy mailto: snipped-for-privacy@charter.net~*~*~ Save a Tree, Save our Planet, Recycle, Think Organic ________________ Thought of the day: Taco Bell is not the Mexican Phone Company.

Reply to
AWilliamson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.