Anyone use Windows Server instead of router ?

I have 6 AP's on my network and central netgear router serving 40 computers that are all on wireless. The system works just fine but I was thinking of replacing the netgear router with a computer running Windows 2003 server that has 2 fast network cards and let it handle all of the DHCP functions. I like the server idea because it can be easier managed than the old netgear router (FSV318) and I can add bandwidth control.

Is anyone else doing this on there network? Looking for ideas.

Thank you, Victor

Reply to
Victor
Loading thread data ...

You can run DHCP (and it's integration with DNS and Active Directory) without doing the routing on it. Just disable it on the central router and let the w2k3 box handle it. You may need to set up DHCP forwarding on the switch (but not if it's all on one subnet already).

The advantage to a standalone device like a router is reliability. A box with no moving parts and not running anything else is less likely to give you trouble over time. No software updates, no overloading based on other tasks, etc. I'd be pretty hesitant to replace a standalone router with a computer, regardless of OS being used. Computers generally consume more power too.

As for bandwidth control you might want to start with monitoring first. Start tracking which ports are using how much bandwidth. Tie that into reports linked to DHCP lease reservations. You can often better manage network consumption based on reporting. As in, show who's the culprit and let management view the reports. Let the HR policies slap them around for wasting company bandwidth. Keep the IT department out of the enforcement loop. Just report the facts. Try this first, it's often usually more than enough. Going to network shaping and bandwidth throttling is often a lot more work to setup, monitor and maintain.

=Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

It would be very expensive. Thoughts about linux ? I believe any recent dist will do this for free. []'s

Reply to
Shadow

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.