Anyone make wireless bridges for home use?

I am looking for a wireless bridge/switch for my home.

Pretty simple really... I have my wifi router upstairs, and I want to put a wifi device downstairs what I can plug a few machines into, and the downstairs device will be configured to relay traffic over the wireless network.

I found a couple of these by companies like netgear and dlink, but they don't make them anymore.

Anyone know of something to do this?

Reply to
cmay
Loading thread data ...

On 11 Apr 2007 12:52:33 -0700, "cmay" wrote in :

What you want is a "wireless Ethernet (client) bridge". See wikis below for a pretty comprehensive list.

Reply to
John Navas

On 11 Apr 2007 12:52:33 -0700, "cmay" wrote in :

p.s. I personally like and recommend the Buffalo unit.

Reply to
John Navas

I personally would go with the following Buffalo WHR-G54S, or WHR-HP-G54 Newegg.com has a good price.

formatting link
And then install DD-WRT third party firmware, from the following location. You need the Generic.bin for the Buffalo Routers.

formatting link

Just my 2 cents worth...

Danny,

Reply to
Danny Kile

What about a powerline link to downstairs?

John Navas supplied these links in January: . The kit of two HDX101 units is $196 from Newegg.com . . . . A better bet if you don't need the extra speed is probably the ZyXEL . PL-100 85Mbps Powerline Ethernet Adapter, normally $60 each from . Newegg.com, but currently only $40 each after mail-in rebate: .

Or add reflectors and better antennas as needed, and make it all wireless.

formatting link
EZ-12, printed on photo paper for thick stock, with aluminum foil glued to the sail, provides a substantial boost in signal.
formatting link
The signal with the reflector is not only 13dB stronger, it's more stable.

I have used the "Hawking HAI6SDA Directional 6dBi 2.4GHz Antenna" with good success on a Netgear WG311 PCI card. $20-30.

The one I bought fit the Netgear, and had an adapter that fit RP-TNC.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.