anyone built a Cantenna for GSM phone use ?

I'm interested in building a cantenna to improve GSM mobile phone reception in a fringe area.

My grandmothers landline has had frequent faults lasting several weeks, and she is quite isolated. I know I could get a yagi for about GBP40 but that doesn't stop me being a cantenna enthusiast!

The freqencies involved are 900 or 1800 MHz. Preferably 1800 to use orange.

Cheers, Alex

Reply to
Alex Bird
Loading thread data ...

Yeah, cheers! I think I've found a calculator which lets you design a cantenna for this frequency. After all 1800 isn't that far from 2400. I'm not sure when I'll get around to it, or where to buy the rf connector for the phone...

Alex

Reply to
Alex Bird

Hi Alex. Not quite what you want but so you know the idea works :-)

I made a deep dish parabolic out of mesh for a mates orange phone. His phone had a stub antenna so I put a bracket across the front of the dish so it could sit behind the phone. The signal went from no network to two bars, fine for texting and receiving messages, with a hands free kit would probably been fine for talking as well. HTH

Cheers, Jon

Reply to
Jon

formatting link
has adapters for all kinds of phones. Also antennas, feedlines, amplifiers, repeaters, amplifiers, fixed-cell bases, etc, etc, etc.

Reply to
William P. N. Smith

Would that be

formatting link
? If you have a stub antenna, you might just poke it in the side of the can at the right place. With a headset, that might be workable as a test.

A can of 4" diameter looks okay for 1800MHz.

Reply to
dold

No,

formatting link
Where the calculator lets you specify the frequency.

Maybe I should try a test with the stub first...

Alex

Reply to
Alex Bird

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.