Anybody familiar with old D-Link DWL900AP and configuration for Client mode?

There are multiple types of DWL900AP boxes. The one's without the + at the end have insipid radios and buggy firmware. The DWL-900AP+ comes in the rev A1, B1, E1, and probably some others. The A1 and B1 are ok, but the E1 and up are nice because they can be upgraded to

802.11g. The packaging is also different between the non-+ and the + versions.

Be sure to thank D-Link marketing for their heroic efforts to minimize product differentiation and maximum customer confusion.

Well, I have a DWL-900AP+ rev B1 connected in client mode from the neighbors house to my BEFW11S4 at this very moment.

Firmware version? Update? As I vaguely recall (not sure), the original DWL-900AP (no plus) didn't work at all in the client or repeater modes.

This is for the DWL-900AP+ and does NOT apply to the DWL-900 (no plus).

formatting link
are all essentiall identical hardware, with radically different firmware mutations.

Incidentally, I have about 4 or 5 point to point 22mbit/sec links that use DWL-900AP+ radios (mostly rev A1 and B1) and that have been up for years with few problems.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

Hi

I acquired an old DWL900AP. I've been trying to get it to work in Client mode, but no success. I have several other devices (newer) that can connect to my Linksys WRT54G, but I can't seem to get this old D-Link boat anchor to associate with my router. I've tried all the usual things like, turn on SSID broadcast, turn off security, turn off MAC filtering, turn off the firewall, etc. No matter how easy/vanilla I make it, the darn thing won't pass traffic. In survey mode, the D-link sees the WRT54G, and shows a link , but when I try to pass traffic, I get zip. A look at the statistics page shows that nothing is passing over the link from the D-Link to the Linksys.

I would like to hear from anyone who either has, or thinks they have, the knowledge of how to configure this old equipment, to make it work.

Thanks in advance.

GZ

Reply to
gz

Wrong. Dlink uses the plus designates that the device uses the Texas Instrumint ACX-100 chipset. The plus has nothing to do with features present. Both the plus and non-plus versions do client and repeater mode, with the latest firmware.

Also, I screwed up. There is no Rev E1. It should be Rev C1. Sorry.

DWL-900AP non-plus:

formatting link

formatting link
Anxiously awaiting whether it's a plus or a non-plus. Drum roll please...

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

The Dlink DWL-900AP is not able to be used as a repeater or adapter(Clint Mode). It can only be used as an access point, wired into your router to extend your wireless networks area of coverage. Unless their is a firmware upgrade allowing it to become a repeater that I am unaware of, then you are attempting to use it in the wrong manner.

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

I think I finally figured out how to reply to the posting thread. Sorry this was missent to Jeff Liebermans email instead of posting to the web site. Forgive me, I'm new to this....

------------------------------------------------------

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

Yes, it is a 900AP not a 900AP+.

If it's true that it doesn't work in client mode, that would explain some of the problems I am experiencing.

The firmware version is 1.4j3, which is the last firmware rev that D-link put out before they discontinued the product.

I was thinking that perhaps I had not configured something properly, and that is why I couldn't get it to work in client mode.

I also tried to use it in bridge mode (point to point). I had limited success there, but still had big problems with it. I read an article that basically states that bridge mode only works with single vendor solutions, as each vendor may do a proprietary implementation.

I had hoped to do other things with this piece of equipment. For the moment, I would be happy if I could just get it to function as a client, so I could use it to allow one of my computers to have internet access via my router. I can't seem to get even that far. One of the gentlemen who replied to my post, indicated that the firmware was buggy, and it may never work in client mode. If so, please let me know and I'll stop trying to pound the square peg into the round hole.

Thanks for what info you have already provided, and if you have any more info to offer (after reading the above), please post it. Thanks

GZ

Reply to
gz

Yes, I have a 900AP and it is not a plus model.

Since I last attempted to reply to the posting thread, I have tried something new. I tried using DHCP instead of static addresses. That didn't make any improvement for client mode, but I can now get the 900AP to function as a bridge. It allows me to connect my computer to the internet (which was my first goal). Not sure why client mode is still not working. Perhaps it will never work in client mode as suggested.

BTW, the firmware is 1.4j3 which was the latest rev from D-Link.

It shows the signal strength as 100% (mostly because it's close to the router, for testing purposes), but the link quality shows as 20-25% or so. Any ideas why?

GZ

Reply to
gz

I have a C2 and just upgraded to the latest firmware (v3.07b). How do you upgrade to "g"?

-- Jafo

Reply to
Jafo

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

I didn't know that there was a C2 revision.

The DWL-900AP+ will do 22Mbits/sec (ERP-PBCC modulation), which is part of the 802.11g specification as an alternative to OFDM. While not as fast as OFDM, it's quite reliable and offers about 10mbits/sec thruput. The original DWL-900AP and DWL-900AP+ always supported the

22mbit/sec pre-802.11g standard. One of the updates from about a year ago cleaned up the timing to make it compliant with 802.11g. The bad news is that it will only talk to another PBCC modulated access point. Strictly speaking, the DWL-900AP+ is *NOT* 802.11g complaint because it doesn't impliment the entire feature set. Sorry, I shouldn't have called it 802.11g.

Version 3.06 and 3.07 firmware added WPA encryption. I should probably install it and get away from WEP128. No WPA for the non-plus version.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Oh well. I sold one of those about 3 years ago. The radio section was rather inspid. No range.

It's possible, as the client mode is sometimes a problem.

You might try turning off some of the wireles "enhancements". See:

formatting link
DISABLE the "4x mode". Also, the WRT54G will do 22Mbits/sec PBCC, but I'm suspicious that it might not be totally compatible with the DWL-900AP+. Therefore, reduce the "TX Rates" from 1-2-5.5-11-22 to

1-2-5.5-11.

Yep. That's the latest.

Yeah. That's what I saw thanks to the 4X mode and 22mbits/sec. Turn them off and it should improve the error rate. If it doesn't, it means that you're getting some interference. It's possible, but I doubt it at the range you're using. Look for the usual microwave ovens, cordless phones, TV "rabbits", and other sources of 2.4GHz crud.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It cant, that requires a new radio, not firmware. Firmware will make it able to access a G router.... But still at 11Mbs

Reply to
Robert Jacobs

Actually, there's a firmware version 3.10, which I installed on both my

900AP+ boxes. Seems to have stabilized them a bit. They've been runn> As viewed from alt.>
Reply to
Airman Thunderbird

Well, a quick look at the German web pile for Dlink finds version 3.07 as the latest for the DWL-900AP+. If you've installed the European firmware, you now have 13 instead of 11 channels. Running foreign firmware is not a good idea (or legal). The various power hacking web sites for the DWL-900AP+ often mention 3.10 but as there are apparently no accompanying release notes, there's no clue about its exact origin or what it adds or fixed. My guess(tm) is that's it's something that "leaked" out of a developers system in Germany.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Reply to
Airman Thunderbird

More like disgusting. The above web site points to: ftp://ftp.dlink.de/dwl-products/dwl-900apPLUS/Treiber_Firmware/ as the source of 3.10 firmware. The directory shows 3.07 as the latest. The comments show that 3.10 appeared and then disappeared.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I read it, but missed the link. Thanks. Digging a bit on the Italian web site and going up a few directories, I find that: ftp://ftp.dlink.it/pub/Wireless%20AirPlus/DWL-900AP+/Firmware/ lists 3.07 as the latest firmware. I think the BX and CX directories containing 3.10 refer to experimental firmware versions.

The US version seems to be at 2.61: ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Wireless/DWL900AP+/Firmware/

The UK version seems to be at 3.07 ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/wireless/dwl-900ap+_rev_cx/

I'm not sure what's going on, but it seems that the US and EU versions of the firmware are radically different versions and that 3.10 seems to be an oddity. Glad it works for you, but I still won't recommend using firmware from another country and of unknown ancestry (even though I've done it a few times myself).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Reply to
Airman Thunderbird

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.