any idea why my portables "see" the mumblemumble AP, when it's 500 mile

Every so often, when I check a location for available 802.11 access points, I'll see (made up name) "east-coast-coffee" in the list.

However, the east coast coffee shop is 500 miles away.

When I have the laptop "refresh", it'll still show up. (As do a half dozen "real" APs down the block).

And it's not restricted to just that one SSID. THere are a bunch of other names I'll see around.

This happens with both a windows XP laptop, as well as a Mac OS X unit.

I haven't had both with me at the same time to see if they're showing identical findings, but they do both have this general issue.

As best as I can recall I've never been able to actually get a usable connection to these APs (except at their original and real location). But I might be misremembering.

It's rare, but does repeat peridocially.

Any ideas as to why/how/why?

Thanks muchly.

Reply to
danny burstein
Loading thread data ...

Could it be related to the phenimenon described here?

formatting link

Reply to
Mike S.

formatting link
Interesting. I've seen hpsetup often.

I wonder if these XP systems out there not running service pack three had some sort of authentication issue, i.e. they couldn't get the service pack from MS?

Reply to
miso

formatting link

Don't think my specific issue is related to the "zombie network". The SSIDs I was asking about are singular enough that the chances of seeing an infected local computer with that ID are pretty slim.

But it does explain a whole bunch of "linksys" and "hpsetup" and other popular, ubiquitous, ones where I try hooking up and get nowhere.

Thanks

Reply to
danny burstein

formatting link

The "linksys" you see are probably real access points.

If you set up windows to automatically connect to a certain WAP, it will probe that WAP. Smart phones do the same thing. This is a bit of a security breech since the probes are visible to sniffer programs. I did a post on this regarding my own smart phone leaving a history of all the two star hotels I've stayed at, plus revelations of my coffee addiction.

I'm not saying this is the problem you are having, since I assume you have removed all references to these WAPs you have accessed in the past.

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.