Antennas & transceivers

I am looking at installing a transceiver on my Powerbook. Anybody over hear have experience using larger antennas on your laptop?

Reply to
-oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-
Loading thread data ...

"-oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-" hath wroth:

I'll just assume that all models of the Powerbooks are identical. Amazing what Google will find:

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Jeff they are not all the same. But Quickertek just came up with a clip on high-powered antenna that I guess will even work on ThinkPads. Must have seen your post.

formatting link
It must be a repeater because they claim:

Reply to
-oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-

"-oo0(GoldTrader)0oo-" hath wroth:

That was a subtle hint to kindly disclose the exact model number.

Ouch. $200 for an add on antenna? No specifications of any sort? No numbers of any type? I'm very suspicious.

I think you're correct that it is a repeater. It's powered by the USB port or internal battery, but doesn't seem to require any connection to the internal Airport card.

I'm also suspicious if it will even work at such a close distance. I've had problems with wireless when the client is very close to the access point. Sometimes, it's a timing issue at high speeds. Other times its simple overload of the receiver inputs. The "review" at:

formatting link
't seem to indicate that they actually tried to install one.

I dunno about this one. I wanna see some numbers.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.