Antennas

Is it possible to have a wireless connection between the wireless card in your PC and the antenna? I bought a 7db antenna for the card that works great but I would like to be able to place the antenna anywhere I want without having a long cable going to it. Mostly for testing to see where it does the best as it seems to make a difference. Thanks

Reply to
Z40205
Loading thread data ...

My understanding is you will need wireless Access Point / Router throwing RF signal in order for your PC to receive the signal. I have downloaded Network Stumbler and when I use laptop's built-in card while I am in my roof, I can detect lots of wi-fi signals. If I want, I could install outdoor antenna (yagi for instance) and connect it to my laptop using a coaxial cable and pigtail connector. Hope this helps.

-Jim

Reply to
kc7jfv

antenna? ....I would like to be able to place the antenna anywhere I want without having a long cable going to it.

NO. The antenna must be connected by a cable to the card.

And make sure that the antenna cable you use is low-loss if you want the antenna to do any good. LMR200 - 240 for short distances (up to approx 10ft) and LMR400 for 10-50 ft. Or their equivalents.

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Uh, let's see if I understand your question- you want to connect your rf transceiver to its antenna wirelessly, no? Well, there is _one_ way to do it- waveguide. Bit on the large side for 2.4GHz, though.

Consider coax for the rf, or cat-5 to remote WAP.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.