antenna

I have a wireless G setup with a linksys router. I used to use a range extender but it gave me problems so I would just like to put a super powerful antenna on my router. Can this group reccomend something to me. Thanks

Reply to
shawn
Loading thread data ...

How much of a range extension do you need? How super powerful does this antenna need to be?

I like the

formatting link
EZ-12 Windsurfer, but you might want
formatting link
maybe
formatting link
based on the EZ-10.

Reply to
dold

CompUSA sells the "Cantenna", which I find pretty funny. You can make it for something like $5 after a trip to Lowes (hardware), RadioShack (electrics), and the Grocery Store (can of Pringles), but it's like $30 at the store. This type of antenna would be used for extending your range in a particular direction, like to reach a friend's house or nearby coffee shop.

Linksys sells some longer antennae that connect to their router/AP models.

good luck, and let us know what works best! K

Reply to
Kevin T. Neely

I am on the 4th floor and need it to go straight down to the 1st. It makes it to the second. I would rather buy one then build. Should I get the cantenna ?

Reply to
shawn

Trying to go down through floors is very difficult. The signal will likely die trying to go through the brick, wires, pipes, concrete, etc. that will get in its way. If the person is directly below you, I recommend going out the window, down, and then back in from his window.

A directional antenna like the cantenna would be what you need. You lose signal gain (is that the right terminology) by using panel or omni- directional antennae.

hope that helps. K

Reply to
Kevin T. Neely

The Cantenna is an excellent choice, but a Pringles can is just a bit too small in diameter. You would do better with a 3.25" inside diameter can from

26oz Bush's Beans or Del Monte Spaghetti Sauce. Some of the Campbell's soups come in a large 26oz can, also. You can buy the cheapest or you can buy what you prefer to eat - - your choice.

You have to drill a hole in the side of the can exactly 2.49" from the bottom end of the can. The diameter of the hole depends on the connector you have. For a single-hole BNC or Type N, use 3/8", and if you have a taper reamer, it's best to start small and ream it to size.

Then you need to solder a wire into the center pin of the connector - - use any solid wire that you can find from 14 to18 gauge (I like to use the wire lead on an old but unused 2-watt resistor). Cut any convenient length over

1.5" and solder it in, then cut it so that only 1.31" projects straight up out of the metal body of the connector - - that's 1/4-wave at 2.4GHz. Then bolt the connector into the hole in the side of the can and connect up the cable to your router. Point the open end to where you expect the signal and see if that doesn't improve the hookup. Don't use a very long cable, or else all the good work the antenna does will be undone by losses in the cable.

Good luck,

Chuck W6PKP

Reply to
Chuck Olson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.