American WI FI

Will my US Robotics WI FI work I the states, I am in the UK

Reply to
Wayne Kerr
Loading thread data ...

yep on channels 1-11 only

Reply to
bumtracks

Exactly as you said. Switch your laptop on, and search for a wireless network.

Most likely, the hotel you're staying in will also give you instructions.

Enjoy!

Reply to
NetSteady

The same thing you do in the UK....

Reply to
riggor99999

What do I do when I get to New York. I am staying in a hotel with free wi fi

Reply to
Wayne Kerr

Just turn it on and it will work. The only difference is that your client radio is *capeable* of doing 14 channels instead of 11. However, the channel of choice is not your decision. That access point is configured for channels 1 thru 11 and that's what you're client radio will use. Although strictly speaking, your client radio is not 100% FCC legal, it will not cause any interference if used normally.

Where you might get into trouble is when running an ad-hoc (peer-to-peer) network set to channels 12-14. Another possible problem is running Netsumbler, which sends probe requests on all channels including 12-14. I would avoid these.

As for proceedures, all hotels have instruction pages as to how one should use their system. Sometimes, these instructions are on their web pages.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I have never used the wi fi away from my home. Do I just switch the laptop on and let it search for a signal. Will the hotel not have a security that will require a password to access. Not all the rooms in the hotel have free wi fi some rooms have to pay.

Reply to
Wayne Kerr

14 is Japan only is it not?

When I set my WRT54Gs to 14 (not strictly legal) they will only do 'b' speeds, is there a reason for this ?

Alex

Reply to
Alex Bird

Yes. Japan has 14 channels.

As far as I know, there's no reason it should reduce speed. However, Japan xmit power is limited to 10mw/Mhz EIRP while the US allows 4 watts EIRP. The speed reduction you're seeing might be a side effect of this drop in tx power from its normal 35mw to 10mw.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.