Am I stuck with WEP?

I've got a netgear g router that has all kinds of encryption options, however, my kids computers have older d-link wireless b cards that, from what I remember, only allow WEP/128.

I looked for new cards on a couple of sites, but anything fairly inexpensive seems to only offer the same. WEP/128.

I don't want to spend a ton on new wireless cards for their pc's, but I feel that WEP isn't worth a crap.

Any suggestions??

-Bob

Reply to
Nick Beef
Loading thread data ...

What would I do without usenet??

-Bob

Reply to
Nick Beef

I ran into a similar thing when I got a PDA (iPAQ), and a DVR (Toshiba on my network).. Both supposedly did WEP, worked most of the time (but not always), I just went with authorized mac addresses and dumped the wep altogether. Sure MAC's can be cloned, but wep's/wpa's etc can be hacked. I went for simplicity and a middle of the road way.

Adding a table of authorized mac addresses, is pretty simple, and works with all sorts of devices.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Gads.. not even you stupid d*****ad....

Reply to
Peter Pan

It is possible that your cards could handle WPA-TKIP with a software upgrade. Check for latest software on the D-link site.

Reply to
Jerry Park

Reply to
Jack Sandweiss

.... somewhat like hanging a spare housekey on the outside doorknob.

Reply to
Roby

ummmm, no wep.........

Reply to
A Supporter

CompUSA has some different $9.99 cards every week. You might check if these do WPA.

Reply to
dold

No, more like hanging a spare housekey inside the house, where it can be seen from outside. Anyone who breaks the glass can grab it, but you do need to have the energy to do so.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Which brings us back to the original question....

I guess I need to find some expensive wireless pci cards that support WPA...

-Bob

Reply to
Nick Beef

Roby schrieb:

As long a you use non-trivial passwords in PSK (i.e password) mode, no serious attacks against WPA are known. So, unless you have a complex threat secnario which calls for more but link layer (air signal) encryption anyway, WPA is acceptable.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Schmidt

Peter Pan schrieb:

As long a you use non-trivial passwords in WPA PSK (i.e password) mode, no serious attacks against WPA are known. So, unless you have a complex threat secnario which calls for more but link layer encryption for the air signal anyway, WPA is acceptable.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Schmidt

There are many that support wpa, however, I did the wpa thing, and then got the PDA that didn't support wep or wpa, and then a few months later the DVR (does home networking, but also doesn't support wpa, just wep).. Had a choice of going back to wep or nothing, and settled for authorized mac addresses. Point is, consider what you may want to add in the future.. No sense buying cards that do WPA if you will get something in a few months that doesn't.

Reply to
Peter Pan

Belkin F5D7001 might fit the bill.

Best regards

Tony

Reply to
Tony Yarwood

Another possibility is to set up two WiFi nets -- a secure one using WPA and an insecure one using WEP. Put the stuff you care about on the secure network. WiFi routers are cheap enough these days (I've seen them as low as $40 after rebate).

Reply to
Roy Smith

A few Netgear G for $29.99 after rebate. Netgear B for $9.99

Netgear WGB511 802.11g Wireless Networking Kit $84.99 - $35 = 49.99 WGR614v4 Router and WG511 PCMCIA card that I have.

This setup works with WindowsXP-SP2 and WPA. I did have to upgrade the drivers for the WG511 card, but that was simple enough.

Reply to
dold

HOW is that done?

My t>> I've got a netgear g router that has all kinds of encryption options,

Reply to
Ritter197

What is WPA and how do I access it on a D Link router and D Link card. Both the latest on the market.

Reply to
Ritter197

Michael, how do I enable that? I have D LinkAirPlus Extreme G 650 card and DI 624 Router with windows XP.

Schoenen Gruss aus USA

Ritter Karolus

Reply to
Ritter197

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.