Am I being stupid?

I have just ordered broadband for my parents and aim to make it wireless. With their order comes a free ADSL modem. In order to convert them to wireless, do I:

a. need an ADSK wireless router to connect to the existing ADSL modem? Is this possible? b. need to get rid of the existing ADSL modem and replace it with an ADSL wireless modem router? c. Something else?

Although I have been told that there is no difference between a wireless router and a wireless modem router, I'm assuming there is, just by the name.

Which is the better option to go for?

For your information, their PC and laptop are already equipped with wireless capabilities so I don't need to worry about that side of things.

Please help me kind people.

From a wireless newbie.....Thank you.
Reply to
ukwizkid
Loading thread data ...

You need a wireless router, Thats all

Reply to
DiG

snipped-for-privacy@none.com (DiG) wrote in news:vR2Ag.311054$IK3.25872@pd7tw1no:

The box he already has is most likely a router, so wouldn't a wireless access point, without routing functions, be more appropriate, not to mention simpler to manage?

Reply to
Bert Hyman

He said "ADSL modem" so that wouldn't seem to be a router.

On 02 Aug 2006 14:45:53 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote in :

Reply to
John Navas

snipped-for-privacy@navasgroup.com (John Navas) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I never expect precision in use of language on this (or any other) newsgroup.

I don't think I've ever seen a DSL "modem" offered by a DSL provider that then required the user to obtain his own router.

Every box I've ever received from Qwest, or obtained on my own for use on my Qwest DSL line, was a router.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

But...

Its more likely to be a simple USB ASDL modem if its free. All the ones I've seen given away in the UK have been.

Reply to
sloblocks

snipped-for-privacy@ch4.co.uk (sloblocks) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@ch4.co.uk:

Qwest gave me a Cisco 675 when I first signed up back in 1999.

They later switched to Actiontec 1524, then Actiontec GT701-WG (which is what I have now). Cisco 678s were also offered at sometime or another during the switch from CAP to DMT. All of these boxes had full routing capability, and the GT701 has built-in wireless support.

I got the 675 at no charge as a new DSL customer, but had to pay a nominal amount (about US$30, if I remember correctly) for the GT-701.

Free (or cheap) hardware for new customers is common.

Reply to
Bert Hyman

I have, several times. But it'd be best to just check with the ISP and ask what unit they provide. They may have a wireless option available.

If the ISP provides a DSL modem and a separate router I'd set aside their router and use a wifi router instead. Better to configure it all yourself than have to deal with the "support" people at the ISP. If they provide the DSL modem built into the router then I'd just add an access point. You could add a wifi router but you'd either have to cripple the ISP modem/router or the wifi router. Otherwise you'd have some doubled up layers of network going on and that might raise it's own hassles.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
Bill Kearney

On 02 Aug 2006 14:50:38 GMT Bert Hyman wrote: | snipped-for-privacy@navasgroup.com (John Navas) wrote in | news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com: | |> He said "ADSL modem" so that wouldn't seem to be a router. | | I never expect precision in use of language on this (or any other) | newsgroup. | | I don't think I've ever seen a DSL "modem" offered by a DSL provider | that then required the user to obtain his own router.

Generally they will bridge ethernet through or use PPP over ethernet. That's not a router function. OTOH, I've seen a case in another thread here where things might be explained as the cable provider supplying a "modem" that does integrate router functions. It's best to just not assume anything. Also, don't take the word of tech support about what it is, either.

| Every box I've ever received from Qwest, or obtained on my own for | use on my Qwest DSL line, was a router.

Might well be. And that would be annoying because I want control over the routing functions. But as long as it can function with another router (e.g. it can be configured to gateway to my router), then I can deal with it.

Reply to
phil-news-nospam

On 02 Aug 2006 14:50:38 GMT, Bert Hyman wrote in :

Non-router DSL modems are standard in all AT&T/SBC markets.

Reply to
John Navas

So instead of this debate, a good follow-up question to the original poster (let's not forget what started this nit picking contest) would be to ask the name of the provider? Or should we all just go on arguing about DSL modem/routers and not actually offer to help ukwizkid solve his problem?

(as an aside, I suspect ukwizkid is not an AT&T/SBC customer, but will admit to making a huge assumption here based on his/her name)

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

Yes ! Putting meaningless sentence in the SUBJECT line is stupid.

Reply to
Martin²

Rico wrote: [.]

Well said.

Reply to
Amanda

My sister's house has cable internet. The modem is connected to a wireless router w/ 4 ports switch (with firewall, I think but not sure) bought from ISP (Star Steam). Model of router is Motorola SGB 940. I don't know how much they charge for the unit but they would set up everything for you.

I have a wireless router w/ 4 ports switch (no firewall) bought from at an electronic store. Mine is Linksys WRT 54G. It is about $50.00 now. I connect that to the modem given by ISP (comcast).

I think you just need to get a wireless router.

Why do that? You'll be paying for the modem part again, if such a thing exists. I am not good in these stuff enough to know whether there is such a thing.

Of course there is.

Just buy a router with enough ports so that in the future, if you want to do wireless printing (wireless scanning,e tc.), you will be able to connect the print server (or the printer with built-in printserver) to the router.

You might want to start another thread to ask questions.

Reply to
Amanda

Amanda wrote: [..]

It seems that it does have fireall feature according to the specs at

formatting link
with $15 mail in rebate currently.

BTW,

formatting link
sells cables really cheap compared to the stores.

Reply to
Amanda

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.