Alfa AWUS036h power question

While searching for an Alfa AWUS036h I see a 500mW and a 1000mW output. It seems a different power level would be a different model number. I do note that the 500mW unit has a 2db gain antenna and the 1000mW unit has a 5 db gain antenna. This makes me think the two adapters are the same. I don't use the standard antenna, so if they are the same I'd just as soon purchase the cheaper one rated 500mW. Any comments? Mikek

500 mW
formatting link
1000mW
formatting link
mute point, I just bought one. But I want to hear what others think about the (deception?)
Reply to
amdx
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

They are apparently the same basic unit with different antennas. The outputs claimed are confusing, but are in fact the effective radiated power.

Reply to
Pen

They are just another Realtek 8187L chipset adapter.

See here.

formatting link
They are no better or worse than any other 8187L chipset.

Even though this chipset is the best available in 54G (in my estimation), in the real world the quoted output figures in the advertisements are laughable and bend the truth beyond belief.

But that chipset does makes for a great adapter and I've used them for years with excellent results.

Reply to
Dr Who

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.