AirPort (snow) won't talk with Win XP Laptop?

I've addressed this question to Windows groups, but have had no helpful responses. Since the AP is an AirPort, maybe the problem lies within it?

The "network" consists of a snow AirPort connected to the DSL " modem ". Mac PowerBook G3/400 (Mac OS X 10.3.4) and Dell Inspiron 600M (Win XP Pro) wirelessly connected to the AirPort.

The PowerBook has no trouble at all accessing the 'net, with or without WEP security. The Win XP laptop will connect to the wireless network as long as I don't use WEP security. If I use WEP, while the WLAN card always sees the signal strength as strong and the speed as relatively fast (11 Mbps), the status shows "little or no connectivity", and network apps (ie, Explorer, etc.) can't connect to the 'net. The PowerBook has no trouble with WEP.

The AirPort is in DHCP / NAT mode and has mac address filtering disabled. Attempt to renew DHCP lease in the Win laptop results in a timeout error (can't communicate with the AirPort).

Ideas?

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC
Loading thread data ...

Even so, I think the first article I turned up when searching "WEP password" contains the answer to your problem.

Reply to
Tom Stiller

I think it is the way the Airport handles the wep password with regards to non apple products. Try this:

for a 40 bit wep network, choose a 5-character password. as in apple or peach For a 128 bit wep network, choose a 13-character password appleandpeach

Reply to
Airhead

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 11:44:29 -0700, Tom Stiller wrote (in article snipped-for-privacy@comcast.dca.giganews.com>):

URL, please?

I searched again, on Google (did you use Google, or another engine?), using the phrase "WEP password" and another using the words "WEP" and "password" separately. I came up with these hits:

formatting link
and
formatting link
respectively.

Which one do you think holds the answer? The former describes how hex strings aren't always reliable as keys, and that if you're using 128-bit WEP, it's best to use a 13-character ascii password (which I am using).

The latter link is a pageful of windows "gotcha's" and solutions, but all it talks about re. passwords, is the admin password. Nothing about WEP.

But passwords aren't the problem, I think. The Win XP laptop asks me for a password when I connect to the AirPort. I enter the PW and it accepts it. It seems to connect successfully ("Signal Strength: Strong, Speed: 11.0 Mbps). I just can't get on the 'net with any TCP apps.

Other ideas?

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 12:14:55 -0700, Airhead wrote (in article <41795c71$0$801$ snipped-for-privacy@news.cablerocket.com>):

That seems to have fixed it. I'm dumbfounded why your 13-character password example works and mine doesn't. Maybe Win XP doesn't like spaces or other alphabetic characters in the ascii password? Dunno.

But thanks sooooo much for helping out. I've been banging my head against the wall for several days over this.

Thanks,

Reply to
DaveC

Magic!!!!

Reply to
Airhead

Be sure you're using 40-bit WEP, not 128bit. I've had that problem before.

Also, don't use the passphrase, use the actual key. You can get it from the Airport admin program. Connect to the base station with the admin program, then select 'Base Station' from the menu. Then select 'Network equivalent password' and it will display key

1. Put that into your XP wireless configuration.

-Stephen

Reply to
Stephen M. Adams

You have different WEP keys on the PC and Airport.

Different manufacturers use different means of entering the key - sometimes alphanumeric, sometimes hex, sometimes via passphrase. You need to find a common means across all three devices.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Airport trys to guess if you want 64 or 128bit encryption. If you select something in between or longer, it apparently (not sure) truncates the ASCII WEP key. See:

formatting link
my rant on the subject.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.