Advise on extending range without frying my laptop

Hello everybody

I often stay at a hotel with in-room internet access beyond my budget. If I get a room on a low floor on the left of the building I can pick up the free signal from the lobby, but have to balance my laptop on the window ledge. Obvious solution is to get an extender/booster of some kind, but after doing a lot of research I'm totally confused - I've even read on a forum about serious damage being done if you're not careful with what you attach. Sent an email to Sony support but they don't recommend any attachment or devise for the laptop.

I *think* a Cantenna type devise (I'm not clever enough to make my own with a Pringles can) would be what I need, but can't figure out if I can attach one without somehow disconnecting the in-built wifi card. A lot of the info I've managed to gather - including the USB adaptor recommended on the Cannterra site - is telling me to install I just disconnect my antenna, but I don't have one externally. There is also information on PCMCIA - I think I have one of these (isn't it the slot I use to put an SD card in?) but that confused me even more.

Or maybe I'm on the wrong track and need something completely different. Cost isn't really an issue as I'm away a lot and would use it often, but size or weight is something I need to keep in check. I don't want to void my warranty by opening the cover and physically removing or replacing anything so that may restrict what I can do. Any help anyone can give will be much appreciated - it's only a matter of time before I manage to drop it off the window ledge.

Thanks in advance

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
konin
Loading thread data ...

No original manufacturer in their right mind will let a customer do something that they could claim warranty for :P

No, the SD card slot is much smaller. The PCMCIA (now PC Card) slot is much bigger, much wider, and is designed to take any number of addon cards - ie. ethernet, USB ports, wireless adapters etc.

If you wanted to go with a cantenna, your best bet would be purchasing a PCMCIA card with an external connector. That way you can have any length of cord you want.

At this range you could make a Woktenna - using a strainer, USB adapter and USB extension cord, you could simply connect it up to the laptop and seat the Woktenna at the window. Have a look at this place -

formatting link
- reasonably simple design.

You could get a professional external panel antenna and connect it to the PCMCIA card with an antenna connector (assuming you buy one). It would be much easier to lug around with you than a Woktenna. You'd only need a 9dbi panel, and these are pretty cheap these days.

An external addon, regardless of whether it's the PCMCIA card or the cantenna attached to it, won't void warranty. Messing around with internal certainly components will.

That will void your warranty too :)

Reply to
David Fairbrother

*Messing around with internal components certainly will.

Just woke up :(

Reply to
David Fairbrother

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.