Advice wanted on Belkin modem/router

Which model and do you have the latest firmware installed? You might be dealing with a firmware bug.

Same here with my Linksys BEFW11S4v4. For a long time, I thought it was something inherently wrong with the firmware or hardware. Every few days, I would find the router section effectively hung. Lights were ok, ethernet to wireless bridging just fine, but the router was comatose. Cycle the power and it's fixed.

Eventually I found the cause. I was getting attacked from the internet. The attack was hanging the router. I started sniffing my incoming traffic and found the attacks. My router is particularly susceptible because it fails a few router exploit tests.

formatting link
hangs on two of the test. My WRT54Gv1.1 passes all of them without a hang.

Same here.

You've performed a "reboot" of sorts. Nothing wrong with doing that.

That's wrong. It's safe to unplug your router for extended periods. Your unspecified model Belkin router has NVRAM (non-volatile memory) that will save your settings literally forever. There is no battery inside that might discharge itself if there's no AC power applied. In other words, you could leave it unplugged indefinately, and still retain your settings. Most routers also have a "save settings to disk" feature that allows you to backup your settings. If you need to reload for some reason, then just upload the saved settings. I use this feature for paranoia, but rarely use it.

Sigh. That's a difficult choice because the answer is half way in between. The router should be able to run forever, without crashing or getting clobbered from the internet. At worst, it should have a "heartbeat" circuit that detects that "something has gone wrong" and automatically reboots the router. All my SCADA hardware has this feature including the PC's. You should be able to plug, play, and run (away).

However, life is not so simple for a cheap router. The key word is cheap. My Cisco, Sonicwall, and Netscreen routers will stay up forever. I don't power cycle them after firmware updates. It's considered a disgrace to call the NOC and have them power cycle a router. However, these are expensive routers from companies that consider 24x7 operation a key specification. They will spend the time and money to insure that uptime is maintained. That's not the case with Belkin and other cheap routers. If there's a firmware bug or vulnerability that requires an occassional reboot, most home users can live with it. It might get fixed in the next release, maybe. However, with product cycles measured in months, there's no incentive to make a long life product. So firmware updates stop after a few months and the initial bugs become permanent.

This is one reason I detest Belkin. Their firmware updates generally stop at the initial release and never extend for more than about a year. Linksys, Dlink, and Netgear all consider it important to update their firmware for the latest features and to fix outstanding bugs, issues, vulnerabilities, and stability issues on obsolete products.

Anyway, feel free to turn it on and off as many times or at any interval you feel necessary. I don't think one power cycle every few weeks is doing all that bad for a cheap router.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann
Loading thread data ...

My Belkin works fine, most of the time, but every week or so I find I am unable to connect to my server or any 'net address. I normally keep the router switched on all day every day. In desperation I unplugged the router and left it for a couple of minutes. When I plugged it in again everything worked fine. This has now happened several times. I would like to know if it is OK to leave the thing switched on all the time, I do so because I was told it could lose the settings if switched off? Also, is there a fault with the router or is it normal to have to switch it on and off? Many thanks.

Reply to
Bryan

Well, I shy away from recommending specific equipment. Many reasons for this including some conflicts of interest. Current favorite is WRT54G with Sveasoft firmware. However, even model numbers aren't a good guide as many manufactories go through multiple major hardware revisions and vendor changes, but retain the same model number. For example, there are 4 different WRT54G hardware platforms and I don't know how many "Orinoco" mutations. What the reviewer tested may not even be the same product. Be careful.

By cheap wireless router, I mean one that costs less than about $100. I don't like combination units and prefer to buy a router and access point in separate boxes. If you're looking for quality and reliability, then you'll need to spend more money. For example:

formatting link
much like your Belkin, but costs between $700 to $1200 (list). And that's for only a 10 user licence. Cisco 350 series access points go for about $570 list and you still need to buy an additional router.

I could say some nasty things about some of the "reviews" I've read but I'll limit myself to just one observation. Very few reviews include any type of long term testing. Most often, the test is an "out of the box experience" type of gloss over, with zilch on long term stability, and always to an impossible deadline. I've done a few of these and find myself disgusted at my own superficial review. Editors also don't like to allow irreproducible results and transient anomalies. If you had to scribble a review of your Belkin, and mention of your occasional hangs would be deleted by the editors because it can't be easily demonstrated or proven. You also would not have had enough time to demonstrate that it was chronic.

As a rule, I disregard everything in reviews except numbers. If someone claims that they got "good performance", I only care how they tested performance and what numbers they achieved. Same with range, coverage, reliability, etc. No numbers, no value in the review. Try the reviews on

formatting link
as a good example of what I like to see.

Well, all-in-one units are convenient. But what happens when you need to move and find yourself in cable modem instead of DSL country? What happens when the next generation of wireless (MIMO) comes out and you have to toss the entire package just to replace the wireless part. Never mind the latest high fashion protocols in the router such as VPN's and support for games that still can't seem to work though the router. Actually, the most common complaint I hear is when someone buys a VoIP router as part of a package, and can't figure out how to "integrate" it into an all-in-one conglomeration. It's the same philosophy as hi-fi. All-in-one packages are cheaper and neater, but not better or more versatile. (My hi-fi is a mixed mess of all-in-one boxes and component stereo boxes. Do like I say, not like I do).

It might the effects of overheating. At the price, it's almost worth the effort to take it apart, drill it full of holes, or maybe add a tiny fan.

I would be interested in your results.

The button is *TOO* easy. I'm also not sure, but I think it's:

1. tap the button and it just reboots the router.
  2. hold the button and it clears all the settings. There should be something on the Belkin web pile or printed instructions. I'm too lazy to look and you didn't supply the model number so I can't do it anyway.

I'm not 100.0% sure, but most routers have this feature somewhere.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Dear Jeff,

Many thanks for your excellent, interesting, and exhaustive reply to my query, for which I am most grateful. You have reassured me on at least one or two points which I raised. I hadn't realised that my Belkin was a cheap one as it was recommended by several magazines here as their best buy. The model is an ADSl Modem with Wireless G Router - 54 Mbps, 2.4 GHz Wireless and I use its wireless function to access my laptop anywhere in the house and garden, for which it works fine. It does however get very hot, which is one reason why I was concerned about leaving it on all the time. So far as I know I have the latest software installed as well.

This is precisely what happens with mine, all four lights working but no connection. It's happened from the very start of installation, i.e., every two weeks.

I'll certainly try this site, thanks.

Unplugging the power lead does seem a rather crude way of rebooting, I admit, is there a better way. I believe there is a switch/button which may restore original configuration but now sure how it works.

This is reassuring, about being safe to unplug, I mean. Don't think I have a 'save settings to disk' feature though.

Once again, many thanks for your reply, it's certainly given me something to think about, particularly when, and if, I buy another router.

Reply to
Bryan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.