Advice on WIFI antenna/adaptor

I need the best possible chance of picking up a WIFI hotspot about 500 yds but through trees. Is it correct to assume that the highest gain (in dba terms) will give the best result? If so, what is the highest anyone has found and what sort of range achieved? 2.4 Ghz and preferably USB. Nick

Reply to
NB
Loading thread data ...

about 500

If line of sight (LOS) isn't possible then you had better make another plan.

Reply to
curly Bill

Consider getting an antenna up and over the trees. You can get a Wireless ethernet bridge built into a directional antenna box and put it up on a pole, then run an ethernet cable down to your pc or router.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

How thick are the trees? What type of trees? Any see ANYTHING through the trees? How far? You know....numbers please?

Trees do a great job of absorbing 2.4GHz. Wet trees do an even better job. I have a neighborhood WLAN in a forest. There's one 50 meter path that goes through a dense part of a redwood, oak, and douglas fir forest. The leaves are a problem, but the trunks are fatal. I found a path through the trunks, but when the leaves get wet, it's dead.

Yep. Bigger gain is better. However several thousand times zero is still zero.

USB is the interface to the wireless adapter. There are several around that have an RF (usually RP-SMA) connector that can be attached to a big 24dBi barbeque grill antenna. In other words, these are seperate items.

USB client adapter with SMA:

Typical 24dBi dish:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Heh, and a setup done in winter, while there's no leaves on the trees, will likely fail to work come spring time. Learned that lesson myself when a 60' telescoping pole setup in the Fall just wasn't quite high enough to overcome the leaves on a nearby ridge line when Spring returned.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.