Advice needed: Dongle & Antenna

Hi,

I will need to connect my pc to a router wirelessly.

I have seen two types of usb dongle. One type has an antenna which looks quite long. The other type seems to have an internal antenna (cannot be seen.

Which type would you recommend to connect a pc to a router?

Thanks

Reply to
not_here.5.species8350
Loading thread data ...

long. The other type seems to have an internal antenna (cannot be seen.

I've done it both ways and never had a problem with either. That said, if your router is some distance away I would think that something with a larger visible external antenna would be preferred. I don't recall ever seeing sensitivity measurements with either.

BTW, my laptop with a buried antenna has far more sensitivity than my Belkin with an external antenna.

Reply to
Mellowed

Mine, with cord and long antenna works much better than internal laptop. Depends on distance and objects. I assume you have a wireless router or ap.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Get the Alfa. Cheap and works with kismet. ;-)

formatting link

I wouldn't bother with high power (2 watt version). Even 1 watt is overkill. High power is only useful when you have it on both ends, and even then directional antennas are better than blasting it out. The good news is these units don't have to be set to high power. On windows, there is a GUI to set the power. On linux, you can change it with a command line.

I see no advantage to an internal antenna. If you have a removable antenna, you can always put on one with higher gain.

Reply to
miso

Thank you

Are these omni-directional antennas generally rotateable and detachable?

Reply to
not_here.5.species8350

quite long. The other type seems to have an internal antenna (cannot be seen.

Generally you just run the router wifi antenna vertically polarized. The alfa dongles have a "knuckle" in the antenna so you can change the pitch. There is no reason to rotate a vertical antenna since they are omnidirectional, but you might use the Alfa clipped to the back of a notebook or use it flat on a table, so the antenna itself needs to be adjusted to be vertical.

I'm not really sure why you are agonizing yourself over this. The alfa is about as cheap as it gets unless you want to go with mystery stuff on ebay.

You can't fight physics. Generally more is more and space is better than being confined. The larger antenna works better and having it in free air is better than embedded in a notebook. The Alfa devices are good for war driving.

The only thing I've noticed is the 5.8GHZ/2.4GHZ version is not as sensitive as 2.4GHz all by itself. If you have interference issues, then I suppose 5.8GHz is a good choice, but the 2.4GHz dongle has far better reception.

Since you say PC rather than notebook, it wouldn't hurt to explain what you are trying to achieve.

If for any reason you are going to change the antenna, I'd go with the Tube-U version. It is far more rugged and comes with a N-connector rather than RP-SMA. The good antennas will use N connectors.

Reply to
miso

Not all are detachable.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.