Advanced ways of blocking rogue clients

I am too tired and do not have time to look this up, sorry.

Which of the software apps out there can analyze transmission characteristics and allow rules for who can connect to a public hotspot (not encrypted)? What transmission characteristics does it analyze and how does it do it?

Jeff?

(repeated to insure propogation)

Reply to
Anne Onime
Loading thread data ...

Wireshark, aircrack, kismet ... they analyze. But I have no idea what "rules" you want to implement. You really should encrypt your hotspot, else you will get nasty people like me stealing all the pop and smtp /etc passwords. []'s

He'll probably agree with me :)

Reply to
Shadow

Shadow wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

transmission

public

does it

have no

get

passwords.

You did not understand the o.p.

Reply to
fella

I'm too lazy to do the same. Mind if I just guess?

Transmission characteristics? Well, is it an automatic or manual transmission? You'll probably do better to tow it down to a tranny shop and have them analyze whatever is wrong with your gearbox.

Why me?

Reading between your lines and omissions, I'll guess you're trying to keep the neighbors out of a wireless system. This is a common problem with open hot spots and unsecured home wireless systems. Decoding your question, it seems that you're trying to identify specific culprits, and block them. That's easy, but doesn't work well if the leach has a clue. Dive into the log file or status screen of your unspecified model wireless router and see if it lists the connected MAC addresses. Then, just add the evil bad guy to the block list. They'll eventually change their MAC address, so just keep updating the MAC address blocked until they get a clue. If your router doesn't have a connection list (most do), then try something like AirSnair:

Note that this method does NOT work with wireless routers that have a built in DSL or Cable modem.

I'm too lazy to go any further. When you recover, try supplying what hardware/software you have to work with, and what you're trying to accomplish.

I don't like repeaters.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

transmission

public

does it

manual

a tranny

gearbox.

I think he means characteristics of the intruding signal. Not sure if those can be specifically identified thou? Mac address is pretty useless.

Because your one of the few giving good replies?

trying to

common problem

Decoding

specific

well if the

of your

connected

list.

updating the

doesn't

AirSnair:

Doesnt' work period. Mac address too easy to change.

that have a

supplying what

trying to

as opposed so smart asses? ;-)

Reply to
daprofesser

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

transmission

public

does it

manual

a tranny

gearbox.

trying to

common problem

Decoding

specific

well if the

of your

connected

list.

updating the

doesn't

AirSnair:

that have a

supplying what

trying to

This looks a bit better than Airsnare, but I don't see anything they are using except MAC address to identify rogue clients.

formatting link

Reply to
FeeFiFoFum

Nope. I make plenty of mistreaks.

I think that's what I warned. It really is too each to change, but most clueless users don't know that. I've found that if I continuously follow the IP address changes with blocks, the culprit usually gives up within a few days. Few leaches will tolerate the lack of a reliable connection, even if it is free. At one point, I was trying to be devious and would simply add a pre-assigned IP address to the users MAC address of 127.0.0.1. That must have been loads of fun as nothing would work correctly. Admittedly, it's easy to circumvent with a static IP, but it was plenty of fun while it lasted. These days, I have QoS running on the few public wi-fi hotspots that I still maintain, so I just slow down that MAC address to a crawl. Think of it as security through harassment.

Yep, that's me. I figure if I'm going to answer technical questions for free, I might was well discard diplomacy and tact, especially if they're too lazy to do some basic Googling or supply necessary numbers. If that doesn't do the trick, then I'll either cease using a spelling checker, or start responding in poetry verse.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yep. Nifty software and hardware. Just one problem...the price:

AirMagnet WiFi Analyzer Express and AirMagnet Survey Express cost $1,995 each or can be purchased together as a bundle for $3,495. AirMedic costs $995.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.