Adding wireless to wired lan

I have a small wired LAN (5 - 10) computers with a router that provides DHCP service. I wish to hang a wireless hub off the network. Can I configure the wireless hub just to pass the DHCP requests thru to the router and not try to do it himself? Do I need to set the wireless hub to get its own IP address from the hub? Is there a brand or model that could be recommended? Anything else to worry about?

Thanks

Reply to
RichK
Loading thread data ...

Get a wireless access point, (WAP), plug it into the router and set up whatever encryption you'd like. The wireless PC's will get there ip addresses from the router,via the WAP

Reply to
RBM

You need a standalone wireless access point (WAP). The WAP device is a bridging device that plugs into a LAN port on the router and bridges the wire and wireless networks together, allowing the wire and wireless computer to share resources with each other and allows the wireless computers to use the wire router as a gateway to the Internet, just like the wire computers. The wireless computers would get their IP from the DHCP server on the wire router.

Linksys, D-Link, arid Netgear are some and there are others too that have WAP devices you can look it.

formatting link
Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

On Thu, 02 Nov 2006 01:35:00 GMT, "RichK" wrote in :

As others have said, the ideal product is a wireless access point, but you can also use a wireless router, which might be cheaper, configured as described in the How To wiki below.

From the router.

Buffalo.

No.

Reply to
John Navas

Wireless Access Points are often more expensive than a Wireless Router. The Netgear WGR614 that I have is $29 at Outpost.com.

formatting link
This can be added to an existing router, ignoring its own router capabilities, and function as a WAP.

formatting link
"Using the WGR614 router as a Wireless Access Point."

Reply to
dold

By, "wireless HUB", I assume you mean "wireless access point" (WAP). Yes, thats exactly how DHCP is handled. DHCP would pass through the WAP from your wired router.

Yes, have your router give the WAP an IP. WAP configuration is (usually) done over HTTP. You simply point a web browser to the WAP's IP to config it.

As others have said, you can also use a "wireless router" as just a WAP as well. Think of a wireless router as a "wired router that also has a built-in WAP".

To use a wireless router as just a WAP: plug your source pipe into one it's LAN (not WAN) ports and disable it's DHCP.

Reply to
Eric

I made a movie covering the basics of this situation (it's very basic, designed to help newbies). A free version is available here:

formatting link
(click the "Easiest Wireless Network") link.

-Bob Bosen-

formatting link
Networking and Internetworking Made Easy thru Multimedia

Reply to
Bob Bosen

DSL modem > hub > Linksys WRT54G LAN port

Don't plug you hub into the Linksys "Internet" port, use one of the four LAN ports and it will act like a bridging access point.

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

I have this set up, and find it works very well. For additional security, I have the Linksys powered down except when i am actually using it

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Miller

I know what you're trying to say, but I found this confusing:

DSL modem > hub > Linksys WRT54G LAN port.

To be clear, let's express it like this:

DSL modem > Router/hub > Linksys WRT54G LAN port

So the ethernet side of the DSL or cable modem goes into the WAN port of your NAT router, which should have 4 or more ethernet LAN connectors via it's built-in hub or switch. One of those should go to one of the LAN connectors on the Linksys WRT54G. All of the other LAN connectors (on both the NAT router and on the WRT54G) can be used to access the local LAN segment via the usual kind of wired ethernet cables, and nearby WiFi equipment should also be able to connect. The WAN connector of the WRT54G will be unused. If you don't turn on encryption, then your WiFi setup is "public", and anybody can use it. To turn on encryption, you'll need to assign an IP address to the WRT54G (from the same subnet managed by your NAT router) so you can use your browser to set it up. WPA encryption is far stronger than WEP encryption if you use a good encrypting passphrase, but it is less compatible with older WiFi equipment.

There's a free movie here:

formatting link
that might help you visualize the management end of this. Click the link entitled "Managing Your Network Equipment with your Web Browser".

Regards,

Bob Bosen

formatting link
Networking and Internetworking Made Easy thru Multimedia

Reply to
Bob Bosen

Yes, your diagram would be more clear

DSL modem > WAN side of Router (WAN)/ LAN side of Hub)> Linksys WRT54G LAN port

Reply to
decaturtxcowboy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.