Adding wired router to a wireless bridge

Hi, I have a wireless network set up in my home running on a Linksys WRT54G (v

2) with 3 wired devices and several wireless devices attached to it. My desktop PC is hardwired to this router. I recently added a wireless bridge to a building on my property to set up a home office for the wife. Hardwired her work laptop to this and it's been running fine.

However my wife will have 2 people coming to work with her that also have company laptops, same as hers. The laptops are locked down to not allow them to work on anyone's wireless network except for the corporate offices, but work fine hardwired to my network.

I'd like to add a Linksys BEFSR41 (v 2) I have laying around to the wireless bridge to give me 4 ports to plug in these locked-down laptops, but I'm not sure how to set up the wired router. Do I need to set it up to the same ssid as my wireless network? Turn off DHCP? Assign an IP address to the router?

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance, Jon

Reply to
Zeppo
Loading thread data ...

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 10:23:24 -0500, "Zeppo" wrote in :

If your wireless bridge supports more than one client (some bridges don't), then all you need is a switch or hub. To use the BEFSR41 for that, turn off DHCP and just use the LAN ports.

Otherwise you'll have to use "double NAT" with the BEFSR41 setup as a router, with the WAN port connected to the bridge, and all computers (including your wife) connected to the LAN ports. Be warned that "double NAT" can cause problems in some cases.

Yet another alternative is to replace the bridge with one that has multiple LAN ports. The WRT54Gv2 could do that with DD-WRT firmware if you got another router to replace it.

Reply to
John Navas

John, Thanks so much for the reply. The bridge is a Linksys WET54G V3. It looks like it should support multiple clients as the user guide shows it being used that way.

So, if I turn off DHCP on the BEFSR41 there should be no other setup required on it? Does it need an IP address to just use the LAN ports? Will it get that from my wireless router?

Forgive my ignorance but while I'm great on PC stuff I'm still a networking novice.

Regards, Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

On Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:37:12 -0500, "Zeppo" wrote in :

Isn't that what I said? ;)

No.

Reply to
John Navas

John, Great! Thanks for all your help.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.