Adding Computers to an Existing Wireless Network / Speed and Reliability Issues

Hi All,

At home, we currently have a WRT54G wireless router set-up on our main computer (which also has an internet connection). We then have another computer which has a NIC (I think that's the correct terminology) with a little antenna connected to it. These two computers 'talk' to each over the wireless network, and share internet, files, and the printer.

I have two questions about this network:

1) We would like to add another desktop computer to this network. Does this involve simply purchasing another wireless NIC for the new computer? If so, is it any NIC, or does it have to be one specifically for the WRT54G wireless router?

2) The other question relates to speed and reliability. When nobody is using the main computer, then using the internet on the secondary computer is very fast, and barely drops out (when it does drop out, within a few seconds, it has re-established connection). Problems arise when someone is using the main computer for the internet. Not only is the speed unbearably slow, but it frequently drops out. You really cannot use the secondary computer for the internet at all, which as you can imagine, is very annoying.

Can anyone help with either of the above issues. I suspect the first is a much simpler answer than the second.

Thanks in advance,

Ilan

Reply to
ilan
Loading thread data ...

On 11 Feb 2007 15:03:48 -0800, "ilan" wrote in :

No real way to tell unless you can be more specific about how your existing wireless network is set up. Is it Infrastructure or Ad Hoc? Is the main computer a gateway or a client? Are you running ICS on the main computer? What is the Internet connection type and speed? What Internet apps are you using?

What does "drop out" mean? It shouldn't be doing anything like that at all.

Hard to say without more information.

Reply to
John Navas

Hi John,

Please see the response to your questions below...

Unfortunately, I cannot answer most of these questions. Initially, we had one computer which was running cable internet (this will be changed to DSL as we have recently moved). We then purchased another computer, and wanted to network them wirelessly. We had someone install the network for us, but as far as I can recall, it involved installing the router on the main computer, and what I believe must be a NIC to communicate with the router. I don't know about Infrastructure or Ad Hoc, gateway or client, or whether we are running ICS. It would essentailly whatever came out of the box... As far as Internet apps go, nothing out of the ordinary. Really just Internet Explorer, Outlook Express, Windows Live Mail, and we have Kasperskey Security Centre which needs to get updates from the net. I believe that's all of them...

By "drop out", I mean that the wireless connection will disconnect momentarily, and then reconnect. I initially believed that it was because of the distance between the two computers and walls which were making the signal very weak, although then I noticed that is happened MUCH less when nobody was using the other computer, which leads me to believe that it is a problem that can/should be fixed.

Thanks,

Ilan

Reply to
ilan

On 11 Feb 2007 16:53:55 -0800, "ilan" wrote in :

Unfortunately then, I cannot really do a good job of helping you.

Who was the someone? Didn't that someone write anything down? Can't that someone fix this problem?

What kind of cable connects the "main computer" to the router? What does it plug into on the main computer? What is the label next to where it plugs into on the router?

That's essential information.

No, it would be however that someone set it up.

How do you know that? Are there messages? If so, what are they (exactly, repeat, exactly)?

That means nothing. Wireless errors only occur when the wireless is actually being used.

How much distance and how many walls? Do you still have the problem if you bring the other computer into the same room as the wireless router?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- A DAY IN THE LIFE OF SUPPORT [Based on a true story]

HOTLINE: Cut-rate Computers -- we cut corners to give you cut-rate prices -- how may I help you?

CALLER: My computer won't work!

HOTLINE: What seems to be the problem?

CALLER: It won't work.

HOTLINE: What do you see on your screen?

CALLER: Nothing.

HOTLINE: Is the screen dark?

CALLER: No.

HOTLINE: What does it look like?

CALLER: Black.

HOTLINE: OK -- are there any lights on the front of the system unit?

CALLER: I have no idea.

HOTLINE: Why not?

CALLER: What's a system unit?

HOTLINE: That's the other big box that you got from the computer store. Are there any lights?

CALLER: No.

HOTLINE: Try pushing the power button. That's the round button right in the middle.

CALLER: Nothing.

HOTLINE: Are you sure it's plugged in?

CALLER: Of course I am -- what do you take me for?

HOTLINE: Calm down, sir. Please humor me just to be sure.

CALLER: I can't tell for sure.

CALLER: I can't tell.

HOTLINE: Look around behind the system unit -- er, the big box -- and see if there's a cord plugged into the wall.

CALLER: I still can't tell.

CALLER: It's too dark.

HOTLINE: Turn on a light.

CALLER: Can't do that.

CALLER: The power has been out for over an hour.

[long silence]
Reply to
John Navas

You mean that he installed a wireless router between the cable modem and the computer. Correct?

And you can use the internet on the 2nd computer, even when the first one is switched off?

There's a cable running from the router to the cable modem?

The first computer also has a cable going to the router, but no wireless NIC?

The second computer only has a wireless NIC?

If this is correct, it sounds like a standard network config. You can connect your 3rd computer either via an ethernet cable to the router, or via wireless.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Hi Mark,

Sorry about the delay, didn't realise this post was still active. Thanks very much for your comments - answered exactly what I needed to know.

Thanks,

Ilan

Reply to
ilan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.