Adding a WI-FI connectivity to an existing wired LAN

Reply to
Teddybare
Loading thread data ...

Buy them both at the same time as wireless will not work with just one. That said, if you get the Laptop, it can be ethered in but no wireless.

Reply to
Teddybare

My current setup is like the following:

D-Link DI-704 4-port DSL router is connected to 3 desktops with one port unused.

I want to buy a notebook with a WI-FI connectivity built in.

I would like to connect a wireless connect point (WAP)to the remaining DSL router port.

Before I buy a notebook, I would like to get all parts compatible with one another. Which one do I need to decide first, WAP or notebook?

Reply to
QuickSand

I don't think it makes difference as to when you get them.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

First, you decide what you want to do (as above). Then, you decide how much money you want to spend on this exercise. The dollar limit will determine what you can afford to buy. Make sure everything will do 802.11g.

Most new notebooks come bundled with wireless of some sort. Might as well take whatever the manufactory supplies at the client end.

Since you already have a suitable router, adding wireless can be done in 2 ways.

1. Replace your DI-704 with a wireless router. This is probably the easiest.
  2. Convert a new wireless router into an access point and use the existing DI-704 router. This has several advantages. The access point can be turned off at night. The wireless part of the puzzle can be located up high in the room to get better range.

To convert a wireless router into an access point:

1. Ignore the WAN port. Nothing goes there.
  2. Set the IP address of the router to something in the same Class C IP block as your existing DI-704 but on a non-duplcated IP address.
192.168.0.2 will do.
  1. Turn off the DHCP server in the wireless router.
  2. Run an ethernet cable between LAN ports on the DI-704 to the new wireless router. That should give you an instant access point.

Good luck.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I've just done this: my existing network is a one-port DSL router and a four-port switch with a web server wired in.

802.11g is a standard, so components *should* work together. "Extensions" to the spec such as WPA-PSK (AES) encryption may not be supported by both units, but you should at least have 128-bit WEP (for what that's worth...) as a common denominator.

I bought a Belkin WAP and plugged it into my switch; and bought an HP nx6110 laptop with Intel wireless. Works perfectly.

Reply to
Mark Tranchant

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.